Discuss Noisy soil pipe work in the wind and drain smell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

benws1

Hello all.

We live in a 1937 property that had an extension built in the 1990's. Whilst building the extension, the soil pipe was converted into an air admittance valve system. The pipe runs through the house and the vent can be seen about a metre high in the loft. All of our upstairs pipework is in a wall that separates our bathroom from our en-suite in our extension. These rooms sit back to back and consist of one bath, one shower and two sinks. All of the waste pipes feed into the same wall, if that makes sense, and go straight down and out under our kitchen.

During January we had some strong winds and we noticed a funny noise in the wall behind the main bathroom toilet. At first it sounded like a slight knocking or dripping sound. On further investigation we noticed that there was a whooshing noise (when the wind gusted) which would then stop with a slight plonk. The best way to describe it is if you blow out of your mouth and then suddenly stop by closing your lips.

Since then, each time it has been windy, the pipe has made this noise. More recently, we have noticed a drain smell appearing in the house hallway and this morning the bathroom smelt a bit off.

The drain smell could be from our washing machine as we are currently going through a few things to try and make that smell better. However, I wondered if something was up with our air admittance valve for the pipework to make this whooshing and stop noise?

Our roof is vented and we live between a town and a village and are surrounded by fields. Therefore, when it blows, it blows. We had strong winds last year but this pipe noise is new. It literally does sound like the wind is going down the pipe and stopping suddenly (like a valve is being forced open then shutting).

Anyone have any ideas about what this problem could be? We can hear the pipes behind the wall as sometimes we can even here the water running down the pipe if the sink tap is running (when it's very quiet). Thanks for your help in advance. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Noisy soil pipe work in the wind and drain smell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock