Search the forum,

Discuss Noisy monobloc mixer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blastedfury

Just installed a new mixer tap in my bathroom which is mains fed. When the tap is on about half way it is really noisy, this only happens when the cold is on. Anyone have any ideas what it would be?

As Plumbstar Tom says may be to much pressure,may need to fit a pressure reducing valve on inlet pipework

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what the pressure is but when the tap is on full its fine, it's just when it on half way!!!!

Unless you want to fit a pressure reducing valve you will have to live with it, its simply the noise you get when high pressure (mains) water is forcing its way through a restricted opening (half open tap). I've seen people fit a ballofix and then turn that right down, the tap stopped making a noise but the ballofix was screaming !

Yes it is commom

As Nick H said and I will just elaborate on

You have high mains pressure going through a small restricted opening in the tap when its part open. This creates turbulance and causes noise. The only remedy is to reduce the pressure by a PRV (Pressure Reducing Valve)

thanks every one, why would it do it on this tap but every other tap in the house makes no noise at all? This wasn't a cheap tap, even the kitchen tap doesn't do it and it only cost a tenner!!!

It depends on the tap and the casting off it, Also the internal bores that you cant see

Is it a tap that has quarter turn handles? ie a Ceramic disc tap that is full on when you turn the handles 1/4 of a revolution?

No is one the you push up to turn it on and has two click positions (one halfway on and one full on)!

Try turning your main stopcock down. Is the cold tap on the bath fed by the incoming supply (IE direct system) or is it off the cold water storage cistern? If the bath supplies off the tank in the loft you could link the cold on the mixer tap to a feed off the tank with the cold on the bath to reduce pressure.:)

I have a similar problem with a noisy monobloc tap. When you turn it on you can hear it all over the house! Again, not all my taps make that noise.
I have a fantastically quiet Reginox tap in my kitchen but it doesn't look like they do basin taps.
Can anyone recommend a particular modern tap which is less likely to cause the problem?

Thanks. I think they are suitable for high pressure but I will check.

I have exactly the same problem with a matrix basin mixer. This tap is rated at 3 bar. However the water pressure can not be more than 3.5 bar as the hot water system (pressurised system) would vent if the pressure were higher than this as 3.5 bar is the max pressure. Should I put reducing valves on the lines anyway?

In the end we solved the problem by simply replacing the taps with better quality ones. Expensive but effective

Thanks for the advice, Rose. I was wondering how much you consider to be expensive? My noisy mixer tap was £79 (reduced to £59 in a sale).

We got Vado (zoo) I think they retail at about £100, but you can shop around. Very pleased with them. Anybody want to buy my rejects? All (3) in good condition...

Petern, a PRV costs £20, is compression and very easy to fit, stick one on... saves buying a new tap!

Petern, a PRV costs £20, is compression and very easy to fit, stick one on... saves buying a new tap!
Hi I know is is a very old thread. But wondering where you stick the PRV?. As I think this would solve our noisey tap problem.

Hi there a PRV is generally fitted after double check valve or main stop tap and will control whole house they are very easy to fit
A PRV can also be fitted on pipework close to a problem .I would rec you fit on incoming main..brum

All,

I'm having the same problem. i have a very expensive quarter turn mixer in the bathroom and it make a hell of racket when,
1 - we use any taps down stairs
2 - we flush the toilet

when the noise start the tap in the bath drips water the manufacture has sen us new cartridges twice with no fix... I'm going to to try and reduce the water pressure see if that helps...
but could do with some advice asap...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Noisy monobloc mixer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock