Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss NO I AM NOT AN UNDERFLOOR HEATING EXPERT! in the Underfloor Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I am no underfloor heating expert. But would be grateful for any help. Can someone tell me why when the UFH is on and nothing else is on. The radiators get hot. And no it's not the 2 port valves. They are both cold both sides? But somehow the return pipe for the heating gets hot? I'm thinking reversed circulation but cannot see where?:mad::mad:

2. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Sounds like reverse circulation. Can only be that if the 2 ports are cold.

3. Harvest Fields

Any ideas where I should be looking?

4. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Between the underfloor return and rad return.

5. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

Good question though, never came across this type of issue. But if You both think it's the reverse circulation then how does that work

6. Harvest Fields

No idea mate. That's why I'm on here:p:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Harvest Fields

I can see where all 3 returns meet as all the valves and the unvented are in the loft with the boiler. How do o fix it mate?

8. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Easiest is to put a non return valve on the heating circuit return just before it tees back on.

My responses are a little slow and out of sink as my posts have to be ok'd.

9. deg

deg Member

Non return valve between the two should do the job if the returns are exposed.

10. Harvest Fields

No worries mate. Been a naughty boy?:p

• Like Like x 1
  11. Harvest Fields

I'll give it a go and see what happens.

12. Harvest Fields

So I have been back and fitted the non return valves. The rads are still coming on when the UFH is on? Any more ideas?

13. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR

Blimey weird one this , is there a pump on the heating and one on the UFH or has sombody tried to use just one ? Bypass anywhere ?

14. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

Here is an example of a system in backflow condition. It's not the same as OP's problem exactly but it does show how it happens in this diagram.

http://www.hertsboilers.co.uk/tech/backflow.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Harvest Fields

Cheers mate. I get the concept. Just don't get why it's doing it now. When it has not for the last 6 years. The owner has not had any work done either.