Search the forum,

Discuss Nightmare with a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richrara

Long story short: hired a plumber with 65 positive feedback (100% total) on my builder to channel pipes in and replace radiators which were 40 years old. Apart from destroying all the carpets, throwing furniture out in the rain and trying to fill cornicing (which looked like he'd chewed out with his teeth) in with cement, the heating - which worked perfectly with the old radiators (and Worcester Bosch boiler which had been in for 2 years) is no longer working properly (only 50% of rads now get hot). He reckons its cos the pipes were 'installed lazily by whoever did the boiler (they run in a loop around a downstairs cupboard) - but the heating was ALL working fine before he installed the new rads.
I suggested to him that could it be as he has now installed much bigger rads than before (old ones were singles, these are doubles) - and he said 'maybe...but it's the piping they did that's the main problem'...so...he's now intending on replacing a load of piping (just charging me for materials) but I'm concerned this won't fix it. So I have 3 questions really...

1) is it possible that the radiators he has installed are too big for the boiler to cope with (he keeps telling me it's too small a boiler for the house...but it's worked perfectly before he replaced the rads)?
2) if that's the case what should I do? He's quoting 3k to replace heating system; but there is no way I would have had new rads in had it meant replacing the entire heating system (which as I keep saying worked perfectly before).
3) hes intending on removing the magna clean that is installed entirely as he said 'they've put it on the return so it isn't doing anything anyway'...should I let him do this?

Any help hugely appreciated.

For the record he's tried to balance them three times with no luck. Also it's an old gravity fed system.

Thanks

Sound's like it's an open vented system. Probably you have an air-lock somewhere if some rads are not heating up at all & they all worked before.
Also The Magna-clean SHOULD be on the return pipe as it is designed to protect the boiler from dirt & debris. Don't let him move it.

were the old rads off 15mm main feed line or was it 22mm but ideally now the rads are bigger they should be 22mm with 3 to 4 rads off 15mm.....filter should always be on the return pipe to the boiler....and a question to you is would you buy anything off eBay if the seller had 65percent feedback?..

Well if system worked B4 he messed around with it , it should work now, it's quite clear this chap has not got a clue, do you know what size boiler you have ?, Magna-clean is recommended to be fitted on return to stop any dirt getting back to boiler, you say old system have you got hot water cylinder / tanks in loft, would have thought when boiler was replaced 2 years ago that system you had was suitable for modern boiler and whatever was needed to update system was done then, You need to get someone in to check what has been done B4 you let this guy loose on your house again, sounds like he has already done plenty of damage

Last edited:
if it worked before even if the output of the rads exceeds the out put from the boiler they should all work but not get hot enough to warm the rooms same if pipework is under sized they should all get warm

Only way you can be sure the guy has piped it wrong is get another heating engineer to take a look at the way it's been done for a small fee. Do this before you let the bloke back to do anything else.
Maybe posting your approximate location here would give anyone here local to you the opportunity to advise.
Could you post photographs of where he has linked onto pipes and work you think is bodged?
I agree with the comment about 65 out of 100 feedback. Why would you use someone with that record?

Last edited:
If you have a one pipe system and he's moved/chased pipes into wall and put longer rads in, then it may heed a complete re-pipe to work properly(google how a one pipe system works)
If it's a 2 pipe and he's only changed rads and not altered any primaries, then it's probably just airlocked and should work again once properly filled
The magnetic cleaner should be on the return for reasons already stated above
The plumber had 100% feedback from 65 jobs ? they could have all been basic plumbing jobs and not heating related
You seem to be pushing the blame onto him for fitting larger rads, damaging carpets etc
Did you ask for bigger rads, did he explain he would have to pull up carpets to alter pipe work

Edit, - sorry I misinterpreted the feedback! 100% feedback with total of 65 jobs is different to what I thought was 65% good feedback.
But as said, that feedback could be based on jobs like replacing ballvalves and taps and tap washers. Seen this lots of times in the past with guys who convince people they are good engineers, - until they attempt something hard, and then their lack of knowledge or bad work ways show.

I read it as 65 reviews, all were positive making it 100% feedback

Yes, think you are correct.
Guess it's now going to be 66 reviews, one not so positive! :smile:

Last edited:
turn all rads off bar one. does that work?
try each in turn, do they all work on their own?

if they do, boiler output too low or not ballanced correctly!

Hi all, thanks so much for the replies.
I have uploaded a picture of the tank and boiler, hope that helps in response to some of the questions. I've also uploaded pics of the cupboard which has the 'loop' of piping he now intends to replace (not sure if to let him now?) https://goo.gl/photos/UWT6xjYzJniP1tNY7
He did have 100% positive feedback, but I now suspect this was mainly for smaller jobs....it must have been!!
He didn't tell me he was putting bigger rads in (I assumed he'd have the knowledge to put in what was best!) and the issue with carpet was that he didn't put anything on floor to protect it when channeling out (he didn't need to lift the carpets that were damaged). Also he knew we were keeping them).
Thanks for heads up on magna clean...definitely won't let him take it out!!
Im in stotfold, Hertfordshire if anyone is interested in coming and having a look please let me know details.
Hes fiddled about this morning, told me to leave heating on at 30 degrees, and NO rads are working now.
Thanks again for replies. Any further advice much appreciated.

The magnaclean is on the flow from what I can see, it's OK where it is but would be better fitted on the return just before the boiler, perhaps that's what your plumber said

Well see system was installed by BG , Filter is not in best position, idea is to protect boiler, so best if fitted B4 water gets back into boiler (ON return) system is a standard fully pumped 2 pipe system and must have met requirements 2 years ago,
So what the hell is this plumber of yours trying to do ?? DO you know what the output of the boiler is would have thought it around 24 Kw

Pls see pics in above link. Also worth noting I had to stop him from cutting an 8" piece out of main supporting roof beam so he could get a tank up! In the end he put two smaller tanks in (following me suggesting it...)

Hi, not sure where to find out what kW boiler is? manual is for all systems from 12 kW up to 24kw...he's said its 'too small' though, so not sure if it would be a 24kw?
Are you saying that magna clean is in wrong place and should be removed? Or not?
Thanks

they are advising you to get a second opinion from a decent heating technician

Look in bench mark section of installation book, should tell you what size boiler they fitted, if they left you information about magna-clean have a look or try web site, most preferred location is on return, but where it is, is better than nothing

Pls see pics in above link. Also worth noting I had to stop him from cutting an 8" piece out of main supporting roof beam so he could get a tank up! In the end he put two smaller tanks in (following me suggesting it...)

It would be interesting to know where this person learned plumbing and who with?

I would love to see the pictures of the linked tanks - this provides some evidence on how much he knows and what his installation skills are like.

Can't understand the why magnacleans there..??

this is the problem with rated people checkatrade etc anyone can call them selves a plumber

I disagree with that as many good tradesman advertise on these sites. As with anything there's always a small risk of something going wrong

Guy started by replacing some rads, so why is he removing roof tanks now ? seems we are only getting part of the story, but sounds like he has caused some damage to carpets, got the chaps furniture wet by putting it out side (WHY) ? now on about it costing 3 grand to put system right ! what's OP doing letting him go this far ? most people would have thrown him out by now, but then people go on these find a trade sites to get a cheep job, then complain about the standard of work, something not quite right.

tbh I stopped reading after mybuilder and skipped to the questions.

sack the muppet.

He installed the bathroom too, but I thought that was an aside from heating for the sake of the issues I'm having (probably wrongly..but bathroom seems to be ok, just heating that is the problem. I've got someone to give a second opinion tonight.
Essentially, I've lost faith in the first guy (some time ago) so if I now have to pay to get things working again then so be it. Thanks for all your advice.

sometimes people have no choice but to use checkatrade, mybuilder, whathaveyou.

the key things to remember is to find people with lots of not just recent but RELEVANT feedback.

it's still relatively easy to create a misleadingly positive impression of yourself unfortunately

He installed the bathroom too, but I thought that was an aside from heating for the sake of the issues I'm having (probably wrongly..but bathroom seems to be ok, just heating that is the problem. I've got someone to give a second opinion tonight.
Essentially, I've lost faith in the first guy (some time ago) so if I now have to pay to get things working again then so be it. Thanks for all your advice.

Good let us all know the outcome should be interesting !!!!!

Was your boiler fitted by British Gas? Their prices must have scared you so much you came running all the way to mybuilder :wink_smile:

Was your boiler fitted by British Gas? Their prices must have scared you so much you came running all the way to mybuilder :wink_smile:

Must have been BG ! Blue wiring centre / Blue MVs amazed it still got Worcester badge on boiler usely change it for BG badge

A chap just came round, didn't charge, sorted my washer out the other guy had plumbed in that was :nono:ing water everywhere...diamond. His opinion is this:

He agreed that the piping in the cupboard was poor, as the water had to come down from the tank, along the skirting, and back up to feed the upstairs radiators (bg's efforts to thank for that). So he suggested the following:

tell matey boy im not happy to pay for materials to redo that piping, as the system was all working before he put in new rads; and so it should be working when he left the job.

He then said if I wasn't happy for the other guy to do more work to get it going, he would firstly do a system flush, service the boiler, and then sort that dodgy piping out. Total cost: £500.

My my next question was: what if it still doesn't work? He then said it would be a case of looking at pipe widths throughout the house....

ive just tried to contact initial plumber, but didn't answer so have texted saying that we're not happy at having to fork out more for materials to get the system working when it worked before he came in...

waiting to hear back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Nightmare with a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock