Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss New Pipework and Tightness Test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
So I overheard a conversation today at a plumb centre and I wanted to know if it was true or not - it doesn't seem feasible to me but I'm new so what the hell do I know! Lol

So the guy was saying, when you TT after you've amended or extended any domestic gas pipework, if the pipework is still hot the reading on the gauge will fluctuate. So the reading may say there's a drop when in fact there isn't.

In my head it's an excuse cos he prob gets leaks and justifies it to himself.

So before I thank badly of him, I wanted to check out the facts.... Is this true?? Do you get readings that fluctuate if the pipework is still warm? I thought that's what the stabilisation minute was for?

Yes it will. Same effect as when the sun comes out and warms an external pipe, you can see the reading go up.

Yes it will. Same effect as when the sun comes out and warms an external pipe, you can see the reading go up.

So say you're doing internal work, is it best to wait til the pipe has cooled before you test? As he was saying he got a 1mbar drop but put it down the the pipe cooling...

as above expansion of internal gas

You can make a digital gauge go up and down by putting your hand on the gas pipe.
Wait tils its cooled before testing

Question on post #3?

to no 2 you were to fast :D

and just purge before you test wont rise as much as if it was full of air, but still except some movement

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Pipework and Tightness Test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

New LPG installation with 2x 19kg cylinders outside, plus change-over regulator with isolator valve on output, then 10 metres of 15mm copper pipe...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The UK Government has today been told to do better when it comes to Heat Pumps and Hydrogen Boilers. A watchdog for spending has said that the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Sorry I have sort of asked this before, tried professionals but not great 1st experience hence DIY attempt attempt again. 2 completely cold...
Replies
Views
Hello. First of all I’m new to this site. I’m in the process of doing my apprenticeship, but now with the current circumstances we are not...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock