Search the forum,

Discuss new oil boiler and storage tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kansaskid

I have moved into a new house where the existing mistral boiler has had its day(30 odd years old).i have planning permission for an extension and when the house is done it will have5 bedrooms 1family bathroom and 2ensuites plus kitchen utility and cloakroom. I have a cylinder in the bathroom at the minute I would like to do away with to make bathroom bigger.Have a small boilerhouse 3ft x5ft where boiler is housed.What sort of system-boiler etc would anyone recommend! Any idea of costs? Thanks

If it has to be oil, then the Grant Vortex condensing oil boilers get a good name.
Don't however get a combi oil boiler as they are complex, expensive & unreliable.
An unvented stainless steel hot cylinder would be best, if you have the space & providing you have good pressure & flow from your mains water. Can you not have a large boiler room built for to house both the boiler & an unvented cylinder?

if works being done anyway, as above plan for a twin coil solar cyl to benefit from all that sunshine, and keep boiler and cyl in one place.

As above but PLEASE put a plug socket in the boiler room (for the service engineers vaccuum cleaner :) )

Warmflow boilerhouse model, complete with a correctly sized expansion vessel, unvented cylinder (dependant upon water pressure and flow rate) and don't forget the frost stat.

Warmflow boilerhouse model, complete with a correctly sized expansion vessel, unvented cylinder (dependant upon water pressure and flow rate) and don't forget the frost stat.
or the plug socket as mentioned before :)

At least in the boilerhouse the grant vortex won't cause a lot of damage when it's leaking all over.

Personally I work on oil boilers all day long, avoid a combi at all costs. Worcester bosch oil boilers tend to be awkward and pigs to work on. In my view grant or warmflow. I personally have a warmflow external kabin pak which works a treat. From a servicing point of view grant + warmflow are practicly the same. Just the warmflowhas a slightly higher burner making it easier to service.

At least in the boilerhouse the grant vortex won't cause a lot of damage when it's leaking all over.

I have fitted and seen hundreds of oil boilers and yes any boiler can leak but I have only seen a few grants do this but a hell of a lot of other makes and especially warmflow

Personally I work on oil boilers all day long, avoid a combi at all costs. Worcester bosch oil boilers tend to be awkward and pigs to work on. In my view grant or warmflow. I personally have a warmflow external kabin pak which works a treat. From a servicing point of view grant + warmflow are practicly the same. Just the warmflowhas a slightly higher burner making it easier to service.

Agree on grant burners I normally fit of a concrete slab if just boiler house model

I have fitted and seen hundreds of oil boilers and yes any boiler can leak but I have only seen a few grants do this but a hell of a lot of other makes and especially warmflow

Both speaking from experience then :) There's only 1 Grant I've been to that wasn't leaking. Maybe it's cos around here the Grant's get fitted by people who shouldn't be installing boilers in the first place.

Both speaking from experience then :) There's only 1 Grant I've been to that wasn't leaking. Maybe it's cos around here the Grant's get fitted by people who shouldn't be installing boilers in the first place.

And where are they leaking from the flow and return nuts? Then I'm afraid you have idiots in your area because there an oil boiler is simple to fit

Grants have a good reputation here & the shells have always seemed well made. Burners are a few mm too low admit.
Warmflows have had a lot of leakers. Dont like them sadly. Baffles could be better. Hate the small heat exchanger door to remove for service & there is a "rubber" gasket to seal it that perishes & fumes escape if not renewed often. Wouldn't want one, if given one free! :smile:

Last edited:
Only my opinion, take it or leave it.

I'll have to remember to not step on the grant lovers toes in the future.

Only my opinion, take it or leave it.

I'll have to remember to not step on the grant lovers toes in the future.

Warmflow, - as you know are local here & have made boilers that have lasted many years - some are still about at 25 + years old. Sadly, they have had a bad reputation last few years.

I would recommend a Grandee, if you want to see your oil guy on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to new oil boiler and storage tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock