Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss New job. 2 sinks in a barn in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JCSPLUMBING

Alright lads,
i e been to see a job today for a new business starting up in a barn, processing and preparing game birds (partridge etc) in a barn type building. He requires two stainless sinks with hot and cold water. I proposed the ariston unvented under sink unit for the job as he only has cold mains water at the moment. This barn is empty by the way, no toilet, nothing.
the only problem I can see is potentially quite a big one is that there is nowhere for the sink waste to go apart from the outside rainwater downpipe. I've enquired about this to the owner of the site and he assures me its the house main sewer. The rainwater downpipe is in 110mm soil pipe also. Is this plauseable? I'm not convinced at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be very wary of putting the waste into a sewer. If he's preparing game there'll be blood and tissue I'd have thought and there may be restrictions on how you dispose of that. Just ny gut feeling but it'd be worth looking into I think.

He's asked food hygiene etc and they are fine with this. The issue is where do I plumb in the waste. I plan on running it in 2 inch with access on bends etc. I'm lost as I've never worked in a environment like this with no soil stack nearby. I'm also thinking a saniflo type unit but the problem would still exist.

best thing is take it worse case, and i would phone the council/water board up to ask them/ advice

ive worked in a couple of butchers and no special requirements that i heard of

He's asked food hygiene etc and they are fine with this. The issue is where do I plumb in the waste. I plan on running it in 2 inch with access on bends etc. I'm lost as I've never worked in a environment like this with no soil stack nearby. I'm also thinking a saniflo type unit but the problem would still exist.

Fair enough! I would have thought it might be an issue..

best thing is take it worse case, and i would phone the council/water board up to ask them/ advice

That's what I'm going to do tomorrow I think. The thing is that they would be content on draining into anything probably but they don't understand that it's me who would get the back lash if it got picked up. If I can't resolve the issue tomorrow, I won't do it.

Also, if the sinks are for food processing, you may need a HWS that is larger than can fit under a bench.
You really need to know how much hot water they require and what processes they are undertaking.

They may need 1000 litres of hot water @ 75C for a period of 6 hours.
Do some homework - just to cover yourself

I've already asked about consumption etc. I figure a 30l under sink unvented unit would be adequate. It's one man on his own in there so can only use one sink at a time. Even for two at a later date would be adequate as roughly 60 percent hot water is used at a time, 30l will stretch quite a way. Also with a 36 min recovery it will ample as it will never be constantly run

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New job. 2 sinks in a barn in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

As part of a slow DIY bathroom refit I've removed the old toilet from the original location next to the soil pipe (and obviously capped off the...
Replies
Views
There is no smell coming out of my sink plughole, never has been. There are no water leaks in the piping and U-bend under my sink. Have tried on...
Replies
Views
Mr P Wilson
M
F
Good morning. Firstly, thanks to the advice so many of you have provided over the years. I'm in the final stages of renovation and I have...
Replies
Views
FeelingCold
F
This one has been bugging me for days so thought would run it by you guys in case I'm missing something really obvious. Had a call off someone...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm looking for some advice on how to tackle this... We have a slow draining sink in our utility room. When the washing machine pumps out...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock