Search the forum,

Discuss New Central Heating System Too Hot Upstairs / Too Cold in Lounge in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beautes

Hi there,

This is a very similar problem to a post a few post downs:

We've a new central heating system: the radiators on the top floor are super-hot, the radiators in the basement - where we really need the heat - are only luke warm.

The difference between our post and the post a few posts down is that we don't have TVRs, we've traditional manual 'school' valves, and a system boiler (Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 637) and a huge Megaflo tank.

We've asked the builders to come back and fix it twice. The first time they bled the radiators, the second time they drained the whole system, but the basement radiators are still only luke warm...

What further can be done? How do you balance radiators? The house is old and very few floors are level, so very few of the radiators are, will that have an impact?

All suggestions very much appreciated!

Hello and welcome. You didn't mention if you have tried turning all the other rads off to see if basement rads heat better?
To balance a system very roughly, you need to know what rads or circuits are nearest to boiler, or shortest pipe runs and turn lockshield valves nearly fully off on the first rads, then gradually the next rads having lockshields being turned very slightly more until full open for last.
Surely you shouldn't be getting the builders to touch the system, but the heating engineers? That's if they weren't builders.

Last edited:
From the sounds of it could be wrong size pipes on system, no excuse for not fitting Trv's on radiators, same as radiators not being level, where is room stat sited ? Do you have a room stat ?

Hi 'Best' - good user name - and JTS Plumbing. Thanks for your suggestions. One of the plumbers will be back this weekend: I'll ask if he can try adjusting the lockshield valves. I'll also ask about the pipe size. We've an outside tap that I notice is faulty - constantly spraying water from the join between the tap and pipe feeding it. Could that have any influence!? I'm guessing not, but just thought I'd mention it.

No the outside tap doesn't affect it, why not turn off all the radiators except the in the basement and see how hot they get,if they get really hot it should mean just balancing them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Central Heating System Too Hot Upstairs / Too Cold in Lounge in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock