Currently reading:
New build micro bore

Discuss New build micro bore in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

natwill

Hi,

Got the contract for the heating systems in 2 new builds. The builder wants to install the plastic micro bore system where the pipes come out from behind the rad.
Having never really worked with this system, I was wondering if there was any design guide or help with installing it.
The problem i'm having is knowing where to run the pipes, i.e down the middle of the wall/rad position? What about rads under windows? Can't find anything on building regs. Also, how do you bring the pipes up and out on the first floor without the risk of kinking them when you bend them back down to the rad valves.

Cheers

My theory is inferior steel used on recent radiators. Yet to see a blockage in 10mm plastic where the old Barlo rads were used.

Well I'm very sorry. It looks as though I've offended a few of you. Never claimed to be a master plumber. I simply wouldn't do it this way as we no longer use 10mm plastic due to blockage problems but maybe I'm the silly one not making work for myself a few years down the line.

you have not offended anybody tbh.

from what i cant see your not understanding what is being said. you say that you simply wouldnt use plastic......fine and thats your choice but the point is that in most cases its not you the plumbers decision on what materials are used but the customers choice. So to say that you would never do it means you are saying that you would refuse to work on 95% of news builds in the uk. If you have enough work coming in to avoid this work then good, most plumbers cant turn down work because they dont like the materials being supplied/specified. Plenty of good plumbers better than you and me will have done exactly this type of work.

you have not offended anybody tbh.

from what i cant see your not understanding what is being said. you say that you simply wouldnt use plastic......fine and thats your choice but the point is that in most cases its not you the plumbers decision on what materials are used but the customers choice. So to say that you would never do it means you are saying that you would refuse to work on 95% of news builds in the uk. If you have enough work coming in to avoid this work then good, most plumbers cant turn down work because they dont like the materials being supplied/specified. Plenty of good plumbers better than you and me will have done exactly this type of work.

This is very true, if you go on a larger new build they spec what is used, where it is to be run at what height, everything. That's how it's done no if's or but's. if you don't do it their way they won't pay you and will no doubt charge you to have it put right.

Tbh plastic is fine 1st fix when done right. Is actually my preference TBH.

Brings back memories of the microbore nicely hidden behind the skirting .... then the carpenter put his nail gun to good use and generate a sprinkler. What ever material you plumb in you need to think about maintenance and protection.

PS: how do you hang a radiator in a modern house ... or an expansion vessel ..... most walls don't seem capable of holding them!

Brings back memories of the microbore nicely hidden behind the skirting .... then the carpenter put his nail gun to good use and generate a sprinkler. What ever material you plumb in you need to think about maintenance and protection.

PS: how do you hang a radiator in a modern house ... or an expansion vessel ..... most walls don't seem capable of holding them!

Internal wall Wooden boards between studs, external as normal.
expansion vessels, fit a bit of 3-1 across the back, it will be in a airing cupboard anyway

I mostly do maintenance and repair..... it's getting easy to tell when the expansion vessel has gone.... it falls off the wall .... and I am not joking, luckily they are either supported by the pipework or come to rest on something else. I do agree if the plumber takes time to fix battens properly there shouldn't be a problem ..... but a lot don't seem to bother!

I wouldn't fit battens , tell the chippy to do it. It is wood after all

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan it isn't a prob that you don't use plastic it was your derogatory comments to people doing a brilliant job every day with ever decreasing profit and ever increasing hassle
I don't work on new builds now ( I only train so don't do any real work at all now) but I won't slag anyone else unless I have something to slag them about
And I don't think you offended anyone just made yourself sound like a by of a prat

We work on new build and use a bit of skirting to hang the vessel on.

make it long enough to go across the width of the airing cupboard due to there being two vessels and you can get a fixing to the studs in the wall and a bit of gripfill behind.

Im able to hang off a vessel when hung like this (yes I've tried)

We work on new build and use a bit of skirting to hang the vessel on.

make it long enough to go across the width of the airing cupboard due to there being two vessels and you can get a fixing to the studs in the wall and a bit of gripfill behind.

Im able to hang off a vessel when hung like this (yes I've tried)

You must be light. :balloon:

I think the expansion vessel would fall to bits if I done that, or pull the stud wall down

sorry, one of the vessels I had fall was on a bit of skirting.... it had pulled the skirting away as well! .... I guess the answer is that the original skirting hadn't caught any studs .... trouble is that people seem to be rushing and this problem seems to be on the increase. When an expansion vessel goes, it fills with water .... and becomes very heavy.

stud wall needs a timber stud. For a dabbed wall use some spray paint and mark the position of the boiler and rads etc... and get the plaster'er to put plenty of dab/board adhesive in the marked areas.

you will find the board adhesive is a better fix than the blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New build micro bore in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock