Discuss New boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Turner

Hi all,

New to this and looking for opinions / advice. I'm in need of a new boiler, which i've decided on having a Vaillant installed. I have a 3 bed semi with 1 bathroom totalling 9 rads in the house, guestimated to of been installed circa 1985. My current system is open vented. had 2 prices, which 1 of the plumbers recomended having a sealed system installed using ecotec 618, other engineer suggested to stick with open vented using 418 ecotec.

My main question is whats the benefit of going to a sealed system, bearing in mind the house is being updated 1 room at a time and with each room i do up i have a new replacement rad installed, so system drained approx once per year, should that make any difference what so ever?

2nd question is i hope in next 5-7 years, budget and economic climate allowing to have an extension built, with 1 additional bedroom (double size) plus en-suite and extra downstairs space, will boilers above cope with the extra demand put on it, or should i go for either a 428 open vent or a 624 / 628 sealed? or would these be too powerfull for the current size of house?

Hi mike go for the sealed system there more efficient (water heats faster if under pressure)
2nd question you could go for the 624 and just get the plumber to range rate it down at the moment and when you get the extension you can put it to its correct setting

Thanks Franky,

Thats helpfull, never knew they could be ranged down. Would you have any concerns over the existing pipework? Its probably been in for 25 odd years and when originally installed into the house (built around 1950) all pipework was exposed. As i've made improvements to bedrooms so far i've amended exposed pipework to run underfloor boards, 1 room i've done myself using compression fittings other rooms i've had a plumber in who used soldered joints. I understand the sealed systems pressure will find leaks that may not occur under open vented systems pressure, which to date have never leaked including my DIY pipework modifications. I'm not having the water cylinder changed at this stage, therefore, if sealed system installed this would be for the heating and heating circuit of the hot water only, keeping the water tanks to feed the cylinder in loft, which i'd require anyway as my shower is a pumped shower feed by cold water tanks in loft and hot water from cylinder.

Also whats the thoughts on weather compensating programmers? worth the extra money to the end user or just extra money for the manufacturer? such as the VRT430f by Vaillant

I dont like Vaillant controls, very complex, lots of call backs.

Pressure test the system first if your concerned I know that might happen but I've done a few and it hasn't happened yet. As for the weather compensator blackgas is right it's complicated they need to improve there controls

Which controls would you recommend? I currently have a Drayton digistat which im happy to keep, so it really i think it just a compatible programer I need

There is always a possibility of leaks appearing when changing to a sealed system but I wouldn't let it put you off too much.

If you intend to change the hot water cylinder to unvented at a later date you have to make sure that your main supply is up to the task,your plumber can check this.

I like Honeywell controls,this is the one I would fit.

ST9400C 7 Day 2 Channel Programmer - Honeywell UK Heating Controls

i like salus controls myself dont worry about rating the appliance the boiler rates itself down as the return temp increases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock