Search the forum,

Discuss new blowtorch in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rabu

Hi, im in need of another blowtorch, are new blowtorches rubbish compared to the older ones from 20-30 years ago? anyway which of the 2 would be most suited to plumbing work? 1, Sievert General Purpose Gas Torch Kit - Transtools or Bullfinch 233P AutoTorch Propane Gas Blow Torch Kit going for one on a "proper" gas bottle as the disposable ones are expensive for what bit of gas you get in them. the torch will be used on mainly plumbing work possible some metal work but more plumbing. So any help or advise is welcome. thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
if i use more than 2 disposables a year i suspect a gas leak!!!!!!!!!!
get yourself a proper torch for the job.imo

2 a year you must be tight with heat redsaws lol I'm on about 1 a month

thankyou for your oppinion, as for gas leak, iv tested all connection parts (what i can access) with fairy, no bubbles. i also use mine in roof work, (not felt work) but thngs like gutters. also, i have used proper ones, Bullfinch firepower and Rothenberger superfire 2 (over rated in my oppinion) that fell apart quicker than the bullfinch. and what did plumbers use befour disposables and the superfire 2 came out do? also agree with grey0689 about 1 a month so over the years it works out alot. Thankyou.

2 a year you must be tight with heat redsaws lol I'm on about 1 a month
yes your proberbly right on that, i go ahead and set up my mate follows and solders up using his gas:D
i

op. if your on roofing then thats a diffrent matter, if your doing a lot in one area then the big tanks better but a pain to lug around.
have you looked in machine mart?. they have a few there.

Rabu , i have a sievert kit , 8lb bottle long rubber lead and different nozzles to go on the torch .
My opinion is that they are easier to use than the rothys etc , you dont have to hold a fat bottle just a nice light gun to manoeuvre also as you said you dont have to buy refills so often . just my thought mark

Do you remove the torch from the can each time you finish?
Do you close the valve properly in between lighting the torch.

If you are likely to do any metal work ,silver soldering etc you will need to get a MAPP gas, much hotter, much quicker for soldering.

Try Gassex MAPP reasonably priced fits most torches

My opinion is that they are easier to use than the rothys etc , you dont have to hold a fat bottle just a nice light gun to manoeuvre mark

Seen these the other day.

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/prod_6881/plumbing-tools/gas-torches/rothenberger-micro-fire-lead-gas-torch-set.html

looks a nice piece of kit,might treat the old man his lamps cream crackererd thanks for the link puddle

Hmm!

Load of gee gaw boys toys if you ask me!

Just get on and solder the thing and stop mucking about!!! :) :)

Incidentally you can't use 8lb bottles in multi story flats. If you get a leak it can go into the service shafts and cause a widespread explosion if lit. So they ban them.

Before gas: Fire and ladle of solder for wiping joint, paraffin lamp, petrol lamp, gas lamp. Used them all except fire and ladle, for lead wiping, capillary solder ring and end feed.

Liked gas best, paraffin and petrol take to long to heat the vapourising coils on them and can spurt out all over the place if used when too cold.

I tried one of these the other day, my mate had one, really nifty, it has 3 quick release interchangeable nozzles including a wraparound flame nozzle.

Nice in the hand, easy startup and it has a little clipon stand that if used on a cyclinder allow the torch to be sat upright, this stops you burning things. You could hold the parts to be soldered above the torch if necessary, but wear gloves if you do, ouch!

[DLMURL="http://www.monument-tools.com/whatsnewv2.htm"]central heating water treatment, pipe cutter for copper and plastic, wrench, copper pipe and fittings, manometer, manhole lifting tool, gas detector, soldering mat, olive removal tool, uk[/DLMURL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to new blowtorch in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock