Search the forum,

Discuss Nest 3rd Gemeration thermostat in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning Ladies and Gents,

I'm after a bit of guidance regarding the Nest thermostat 3rd Generation please...

My heating system is a Glow worm 18hx system boiler. I have a hot water cylinder pump, only radiators all round, mid position valve, Y plan wiring centre.

So my issue... my old programmer broke with a fizzle and pop so I thought now was a good time to bring part of my house to the future.... I have followed the wiring diagram that came with the new wiring centre and the nest, but my boiler runs constantly. I have no control over the heating ornhot water at all. I have turned the heating off, the hot water off bacteria prevention off on the thermostat. So with everything OFF the boiler fires and runs (it ran most of the night and my house was quite warm...). The thermostat itself is wored to the 12v side and linked through the old stat cable... The heat link is as the instructions terminal 2 and 5 being linked across with the live in... I'm not sure it it's right the at the heat link but I checked the voltage across terminal 3 and N, 4 and N, 6 and N and I have 240v even when the heating and hot water is off...

I have had the motorised valve replaced also as I thought that might have been the problem.

I have tried the various reset procedures that Google says to try...

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction... even if it's a faulty unit...

The heating system was working before
I have tried resolving the issue with Google... no help at all...

Sorry I will attatch some more pictures when I am home if required...

Many thanks in advance for any help x

Attachments

• 20210919_154332.jpg
    20210919_154332.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 19
I found that fitting nests to y plan was one of the hardest, especially whe old systems wired by electrian with earths and neutrals sometimes used as switch lives, you will have to trace all wires as you have a permanent live wired in somewhere

A photo of wiring center and heatlink would be of use.
Please see attached for reference... I have removed the cylinder stat cable as it's very short.

The boiler cable has 5 wires, L, N, E and 2 blacks, 1 is the switch or R and the other is pump, I have bellied these through so they are the correct way round...

So while the heat link is in normal operation, but with heating and hotwater off I have 240v at the boiler switch return/orange and when I put it into manual mode that terminal drops to 30v ish...

Attachments

• 20210929_170213.jpg
    20210929_170213.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210929_170200.jpg
    20210929_170200.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210919_154332.jpg
    20210919_154332.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 18
Stick the old existing black core to the pump live

Also the boiler cable (right hand one with the two wagos) has two black cores but on the plug there’s only one

Stick the old existing black core to the pump live

Also the boiler cable (right hand one with the two wagos) has two black cores but on the plug there’s only one

On the plug, it's a 5 core newish cable, goes into a 3 pole isolator which has a 5 core (brown, blue, earth plus 2 black coming out) so the black with 2 wagos goes to pump. The other black in with orange is the the R on the plug... does that make sense...

Good is the nest new and set up for a two / y plan system eg when hot water is off the grey is live to the port valve ?

Have you tested with a multi meter at the valve wago ?

Now try turning the heating on via the app ?

Unwire the nest eg load side eg 3,4,6

Then with your multi meter do you have voltage on 3 and 6 ?

It’s the stat either config/ set up wrong or it’s broken when everything is off heating and hot water 3 and 6 should be 0v

It’s the stat either config/ set up wrong or it’s broken when everything is off heating and hot water 3 and 6 should be 0v
That's what I originally thought... I think it may have been returned to the shop... not sure but it didn't looked packed in the box properly when I opened it but didn't think anything of it...

Thank you for your help! It is very much appreciated!

I will return it to the shop and exchange for another one... fingers crossed that one works...😬

Reply to Nest 3rd Gemeration thermostat in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock