Search the forum,

Discuss Neighbour threatening to sue if I don’t remove my soil pipe wall?? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

L

Lex Hanz

Hi, just wondered if anyone has been through the same situation? My neighbour wants to turn her garden into a car park for lodgers and has bought an expensive sports car. We can currently fit a normal size car down the driveway but the sports car is bigger than a normal size car.

She has now sent a threatening letter saying that if we don’t remove our small border which protects the soil pipe then she will sue us?

Is this allowed? There’s nothing there that isn’t not part of every other house?

Just wondered if anyone knows what can be done?

Sue you for what exactly? In the states by any chance? If there’s a property boundary and you haven’t encroached on it, then surely they wouldn’t have a leg to stand on.

Did she bother to discuss it with you first or has she just gone straight to a threatening letter?

Send the neighbour a letter back saying you'll lend her a tape measure for when she goes to buy a car that WILL fit down the drive.

As Murdoch, is this a shared driveway?
Are these older properties where there wasn't a driveway but a common one has been created by removal of a fence or wall or hedge?
Is there a formal agreement to allow each side access over the full width?

People love to threaten to sue. Realistically, they've got to take the case to court (expensive) and you hopefully paid for legal cover on your home insurance to defend your case (free). When the other side loses and picks up the costs, she may have to sell the sports car... which will solve the problem.

Sounds like a lot of huffing and puffing to scare you into compliance. You could almost call her bluff and say you've engaged your own solicitor and wondering which firm she'll be using.

We need more information. Age and history of the property and the border and soil pipe. Access rights and easements: defined on paper, or merely by usage?

If the border isn't supposed to be there... but we can't possibly know that on the available information.

Reply to Neighbour threatening to sue if I don’t remove my soil pipe wall?? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock