Search the forum,

Discuss Need Help with water pressure/salamander pump/cavitation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alexcambs

We have recently moved into a 5th and 6th floor apartment in London and the water pressure is ridiculous to the point that we get NO water from some of our taps at night!
We have spoken to the water board about this and they are not interested. So we have fitted a Salamander mains Pump to the system! At about the same time we had a new kitchen tap fitted as the old one broke.We are now in the situation that the sound from the pump is resonating down the pipes and upsetting our neighbour who is now banging on the walls. We have spent lots of money on sound insulation and now moving the pump outdoors with no improvement!
We also have the kitchen tap that seems to thump as the water pulses out of the tap, worse with hot than cold and worse again with the pump running. The tap also has less pressure and volume than the old one so we think it's flow restricted but everyone tells us this is not the case!

Pleased pleased can anyone offer any advise as we have run out of ideas and are pulling out hair out now!Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you check to see the salamander home boost pump can be installed outside? It might freeze up!!

5th & 6th floor is a long way for the water mains to reach!? Does the building have a boosted supply from the cellar or are you straight off the mains pressure?

One option if there's room is to fit a cold water storage tank & then boost the supply out of the tank to feed your cylinder or combi or whatever system you have with a whole house pump or something that suits your house.

You need to know if a booster pump set is installed and is working correctly. Talk to the property manager to get some info would be my first port of call.

We have the water pump installed in a shed and as we still have the builders/decorators here we might get them to move it back inside as its made no difference.

The building has no pump at present and the water board will only offer 1.6bar to the kerb side. We have spoken to the freeholders and they're not interested in installing a pump. Oh and to make things worse we're sharing the feed with next door as the flat was split in 2007 (baddly)

We dont have room for a cold water tank as its almost a flat roof and we're on the top floor. and only have the one cupboard for the heating/water which is quite full.

We have spoken to the pump supplier and they have listened to it, and say its working correctly. Also the pump in fitted inside our flat so the manager wont get involved, thanks anyway

Can the Cold water tank not go in the flat, Make a cupboard or something with tank and pump arrangement with good clearances etc to service

Maybe change the taps to low pressure taps too might help but 1.6 b up around 15m? all the pressure is gone in theory

your main issue is the shared supply, best option is to get your own separate supply, and get that boosted in your shed, with the pump mounted on a soundproof pad/neoprene under a solid base such as a paving slab. If all else fails, add an accumulator tank to allow you to have a reserve of pressurised water.

Your problem is that you believe that you or your "builders/decorators" can solve your water supply issues.

What you need is the service of a Water Regulations Approved Plumber who understands boosted water supply and can have a look at the building / your property and this will cost you I am afraid.

For starters, if you only have 1.6 bar at street side (and they can reduce that) then it will only reach 16Metres up the building with nothing left to get any water out of the fittings, if you have fittings on the 6th floor this will be around 18M so no water at all.
Just putting a pump on a shared main is never going to be the answer as you have found out.

Don't compound your problems any further, pay to have an expert look at your problems and provide you with the options but the solution aren't going to be cheap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Need Help with water pressure/salamander pump/cavitation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hey, here goes and I hope it works.. never used one of these before! I have a Sagittarius Ergo mixer shower min bar of pressure required 1 bar...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’m hoping someone can help me with this problem please. I’ve searched for similar posts but not found anything helpful! My mum’s...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just a quick question. I have a log burner and a gas boiler on a dual fuel system (Central heating and Hot Water) either can do both. The...
Replies
Views
Low hot water pressure Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone is able to shed some light on my situation before I have to call out the professionals...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock