Discuss My WC cistern empties itself, but not into the pan or overflow. Where does it go? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Geoff french

Hi All
I am a new member and this is my first post. I have been doing DIY for some 50 years, but I find this one a total mystery:

My WC (mains water) inlet keeps running, but slowly. I have replaced the valve but still it doe not shut off.

To save wasting water I turned the maintenance valve off until I could investigate further. When I returned an hour or so later the cistern was empty. No leaks found. I allowed the cistern to fill again and added some blue dye to the water. The cistern emptied itself again, and then I looked for blue water. None seen.

This blue water has disappeared, nothing in the pan, nothing in the manhole outside. The old original overflow pipe is capped off in side the cistern.

Can anyone help please.
Geoff.

Hi Steve
Thanks for your reply. The pan is an old washdown type.
Regards
Geoff.

Dry around under the rim of the pan then lay single squares of dry paper around under the rim and leave for awhile, if paper becomes wet there is you answer.

Thanks RPM
I have tried your suggestion of putting dry paper under the rim, but it did not solve the problem. I allowed the cistern to fill and turned the maintenance valve off and the cistern emptied after about 20 minutes, but the paper was still dry! Any more ideas?
Regards
Geoff.

Thanks RPM
I have tried your suggestion of putting dry paper under the rim, but it did not solve the problem. I allowed the cistern to fill and turned the maintenance valve off and the cistern emptied after about 20 minutes, but the paper was still dry! Any more ideas?
Regards
Geoff.

There's not many places the water can be disappearing!

If it's not down into the pan & the overflow is capped off then maybe the valve is siphoning the water back down the pipework if you turn off at the mains & are opening a lower tap? It's a long shot tho, I had it once on a newer style fluidmaster when draining down.

Thanks for your reply. I will try this but don't hold out much hope. I might just fit a Fluidmaster kit.
Regards
Geoff.

Geoff can you post a picture of your setup...the toilet I mean. Maybe it is a double trap toilet.

Post 2 I'd go for
Other than that, disconnect the 4" outlet pipe and try again
It's got to be going somewhere, unless you've got a couple of industrial dehumidifiers nearby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to My WC cistern empties itself, but not into the pan or overflow. Where does it go? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock