Search the forum,

Discuss My pressurised central heating system - maintenance/cleaning in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AngusE

Bear with me here - my basic knowledge comes from reading online, not experience. I live in a 2 bed apartment with main bathroom and ensuite. Property has a pressurised CH system driven by a Potterton PowerMax HE boiler (a large free-standing combi boiler with the "benefits" of a built in 115L hot water tank) which is the same age as the property (10 years). I have owned the property for 2 years.

Symptoms:

1. Humidity has caused corrosion to both bathroom radiators - worse in the ensuite which has no window.
  2. I removed the ensuite radiator to replace it but noticed that the water released has black sediment (I'd describe it as sediment rather than sludge). Also, the water remains light brown even when the sediment settles (evidence of some rust in system).
  3. The pressure indicator on the boiler shows a SLOW drop in pressure - I need to top the system up every couple of weeks.

The challenges:

My primary objective was to replace the 2 bathroom radiators and then refill the system and add fresh inhibitor (I do not know if the inhibitor has ever been replaced - I doubt it - but it is certainly being diluted by the pressure top-ups).

However, I now see that I also need to clean out any existing "gunk" and then refill the system. A power flush seems to be an expensive proposition (also because they apparently use a lot of water and my supply is metered).

So then I thought maybe I could introduce a cleaner (e.g Sentinel X400) - run that in the system for a while and then drain it all off, refill and introduce a leak sealer like Fernox F4) to seek out any small gaps causing the pressure drop, then drain again and refill, adding a suitable inhibitor. And I would also like to add a magnetic filter (e.gAdey Magnaclean) to prevent/delay future problems

HOWEVER, I cannot see an obvious way to drain down the system. My apartment is on one level with concrete floors so everything is on a single level. There is no drain-down valve on any radiator. If I drain each radiator at the TRV/Lockshield water will only train as low as the valves and just sit in all other pipework (which is plastic behind the walls by the way).

It is effectively impossible to access the pipework below the boiler - there is no exposed pipework because the boiler is on a plinth (about 8" high) supported by very think (2") pieces of wood. Not a very helpful installation!

So, no obvious way to drain down and no exposed length of pipework on the CH return outside the boiler cabinet to install a magnetic cleaner. A challenging installation but it's important I find some cost effective solutions before there is further degradation in the radiator system and/or the boiler.

SUGGESTIONS???

Your best bet as it sounds like you will need to change Pipework and add a few drain offs

Have yo had a look outside to see if any drain points poking out of wall ? if not replace ground floor lock shield valves with ones that have a drain off valve incorporated, once you have some drain points Add Fernox F5 Heavy duty cleaner , run system for a week, drain whole o system (When Hot) if you have the time & someone to help remove radiators , take out side turn up side down and flush through with a hose pipe, refit refill system and flush with clean water to clear pipe work, refill system and add Fernox F1inhibitor, Its that I prefer Fernox product's to sentinel , always seems to do the job better & quicker, Whatever method you use it will involve using a lot of water there is no way to cleanse a system without using a lot of water, drop in pressure may be due to a drip on a radiator valve or something in boiler when was boiler last serviced ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to My pressurised central heating system - maintenance/cleaning in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock