Discuss multi fuel for Rayburn plumbing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wrightk

Hi there

We currently run a charnwood multi fuel stove, its fully plumbed in with 4 pipes from the stove,I take it this is for flow and return pipes for heating and hot water.the recess the stove sits in is perfect for a rayburn (I think they originally had Rayburn's in). We are considering a Rayburn for hot water heating and cooking. My question is about the plumbing in of the Rayburn. Will the Rayburn accept 4 pipes or only 2? Our system already has a pump, high and low stats and the hot water cylinder all ready to go just trying to get an idea of cost and work involved

Many thanks

if your going to swap for a solid fuel rayburn, you'll be wasting a lot of money as youll gain a cooker at a high cost, if its an oil rayburn youll need a pressure jet variant to be any good a heating the house properly and cooking n HW. Cost wise, price of a rayburn and a few days to sort out the plumbing, get some quotes as we cant see what needs doing on here.

Hi there, yes i was looking for a pretty simple swap as we have no mains gas here and oil is not an option either. the stove is a fairly large one (10kw to water and 3.5kw to room) anyway and needs almost continual running this time of year anyway but was hoping to have the additional option of cooking facilities. The stove is currently plumbed in with 4, 22mm pipes and i have high/low stats on the flow/return, a pump and the system works fine. as i understand with regards to the chimney recess, everything will slot into place as the original recesses had rayburns in many years ago. Its just a case of altering the pipework behind the stove/rayburn as im aware that rayburns only accept 1 set of flow/return pipes?

Is there a ballpark idea of price for this type of job?

Hi

Having had experience in this field and dealing with Rayburn you really need a qual engineer to take a look and also look at Rayburns website. You will need min28mm pipe work any less Rayburn won't warrant it! They are extremely picky to say the least and you need to go strictly by the book. Also a fully pumped system is required really I'm afraid especially if you are investing in the cooker.
Your only other option is to find a second hand cooker and re pipe it. The new ones have 1" tappings and there are two of course. Some old ones have four so you do gravity hw and pumped heating.
good luck and read up!!!!

Hi

Having had experience in this field and dealing with Rayburn you really need a qual engineer to take a look and also look at Rayburns website. You will need min28mm pipe work any less Rayburn won't warrant it! They are extremely picky to say the least and you need to go strictly by the book. Also a fully pumped system is required really I'm afraid especially if you are investing in the cooker.
Your only other option is to find a second hand cooker and re pipe it. The new ones have 1" tappings and there are two of course. Some old ones have four so you do gravity hw and pumped heating.
good luck and read up!!!!

thank you!!

I was looking at the latter option really. half decent second hand one and a repipe. I just cant get my head around the 4 vs 2 pipework arrangement. I have no intention of doing it myself, but i was hoping it would be a very simple install with my current system being fully pumped,vented etc. Then again i have no idea of cost involved really. 2 of the pipes running from my current stove are 28 mm and 2 are 22mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to multi fuel for Rayburn plumbing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have recently moved into a house with a central heating system that runs from oil or/and the multi fuel stove. The water gets hot and then...
Replies
Views
A challenging and unusual question. We have a 40 year old Rayburn in the kitchen providing heating and hot water. I want to update to a modern...
Replies
Views
Adrian Rowlng
A
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views
I have a multi fuel stove with back boiler and the water is not getting hot, it has never done this before, it is a single pipe system and all the...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock