Discuss Moving a sink across a room? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KJM72

Hi, I want to install a sink across my kitchen on the opposite from where it exists just now. It's an old scullery sink, no good for anything! and no space. But it would mean opening up my floorboards and fitting new pies into the joists where necessary, and I would need at least a 7.5 degree angle (or so I believe). The new sink would be about 4 metres away on an internal wall, away from the original setting. Is this possible? Where do I start? I have been told by some that it's not possible however other flats in my building have done the same thing! I don;t mind how long it takes, and have people to help me but I welcome advice. Is there aq good book to get on EXACTLY this subject. I need help on everything from fitting the new sink unit to drilling through the joists.... And before you all ask..no there isn;t really anywhere else suitable for it to go due to other electrical units etc.

Definitely possible. Only thing is how much do you want to spend to hide the pipes?

Well, I'm not sure how much it would cost. Any ideas what would need to be done after/or to hide them. or how much it would cost? I've just got original wooden sanded floorboards, they will stay like that afterwarrds. No tiles or laminate e.g. to relay. I'm assuming that I can just relay and repin the floorboards. I've got a sink, and base unit etc.

just make sure your joist are parallel with the waste, or unless your joists are victorian and over specced, you may by meeting your neighbours below sooner than they want

Book wise readers digest manual of diy, it wont take you beyond what you are allowed to do legally normally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I've used this book for many other things. It doesn't really go into enough detail for what I need. I'm not at all bothered whether it's legal or not as the other flats haven't followed protocol, and haven't considered me either, as my cracked ceiling and broken pipes display so neighbours can just get on with it.

Thanks though.

if you need more info than that book then the jobs beyond you and if you seriously dont worry about your risk to your neighbours then this isnt the place to ask my advice. If you take out to much joist you risk the integrity of the building you live in and if you cause damage and injury you risk criminal damages and proscecution, additionally your insurance company, if you have one would not cover you for repairs as you would be negligent in their mind and causing wilful damage.

Sounds like you may end up moving the room across to the sink!! :)

your allowed to go 1/8th of a joist deep, this is not normally enough for a 1" 1/2 waste, your going to be knotching across joists in same position and right across the room, not good - in fact could be catastrophic if the floor joists collapse on the people below. have you got a wall the waste could be run against and boxed in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Moving a sink across a room? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock