Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Motorised Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boyrarr

In the house I have bought there are 2 Tower Motorised Valves, one to regulate the downstairs temperature and one to regulate upstairs. The one for downstairs is placed outside in the boiler house and was soaked with the leak I had and isn't working, therefore leaving us with no heating downstairs.

The valve is this one: Tower MV2-22C Motorised Zone Valve 22mm on eBay (end time 19-Jan-11 23:34:58 GMT)

The question I have is do I have to buy this exact one to replace it or will any of the 22mm Tower motorised valves do the same job?

When I went to the local plumbing shop today he told me they stopped supplying Tower valves because they are unreliable and I should consider retrofitting a different one, what does this even mean?

Thanks for any help, let me know if any other information would help and I'll see what I can do.

Have never used Tower so cant comment. What he means is fit another make ie Honeywell, you would probably have to change the full valve not just the head , wiring will be the same.
We have just fitted a Bianco (free trial) they look just like a Honeywell but half the price

ah i see. Is there anything I need to check before buying a new one of a different brand then or will any 22mm valve fill the gap in the pipe for the old one? I think I need to replace the whole thing anyway, I slightly stuffed the other one trying to open the valve manually on the advice of a plumber who is a friend of a friend but who hadn't time to come look at it.

get a honeywell valve they are the best ,you may be able to just replace the head without draining down which saves a load of agg

I'll see what valves the plumbing suppliers here has so I can potentially get it working tomorrow. Is this a big job? I know how to drain and refill my heating system no problem, so would fitting a new valve be a job of draining the heating system via the boiler, disconnect the fuse for the central heating to cut all power then fit the new valve exactly the same way as the current one is? i.e. screw it to the existing pipes and wire it in the same way as the current one is? I assume the wires should be the same colours etc? thanks

colours of wires should be the same it will have a wiring diagram in the box
you could check for a wiring diagram online for the old valve to compare if it doesnt work.

just do as you said drain down isolate power swap valves then refill and power up again.
open valves manually to refill the put back to auto to test and run etc.
honeywell are considered the best by most fitters
maybe try a different supplier to get just a replacement head for the old valve cos thats a much simpler job (no draining down reqd )
get the exact model number and make a few calls it should also be cheaper that way.
with the head off just make sure the shaft will move freely to make sure you dont have a problem with the valve body

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all the help, I'll give it a go tomorrow then. Any problems I'll pop back here :)

when you change the valve, cut the old cable off the dead valve and check the cables are the same colour and then swap over one at a time colour for colour to exactly the same positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Motorised Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock