Discuss Missing Flue terminal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bluey

A home buyers survey has indicated that my new Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30Si boiler has part of the flue terminal missing.

No changes have been made to the system since it was installed less than a year ago by a Gas Safety registered engineer who issued a gas safety certificate for it then.

Perhaps it has been dislodged during a recent roof renewal?

I attach a picture of the flue. Any idea what part is missing and how much this could cost to fix?

many thanks for any assistance.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 222
There should be an extended tube bit sticking out of the middle hole, about 75mm long. go to Greenstar 30Si literature - Worcester, Bosch Group UK installer site clik on the flue install intructions 100/60mm about 3/4 down the page, download the pdf and youl see a picture of how it should be, the missing centre pipe is held in with 2 screws, youl prob need to buy a new flue (£45 ish) to get a new bit. I wouldnt use your boiler until this piece is replaced as it could be sucking fumes back down the air inlet wihch could inturn lead to carbon monoxide poisoning risk. Iam not trying to scare you just point out the facts and possible outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your swift response.

I have a carbon monoxide alarm which I regularly test which hasn't alerted me to any issues but I will definately tend to this repair asap.

Thanks for your swift response.

I have a carbon monoxide alarm which I regularly test which hasn't alerted me to any issues but I will definately tend to this repair asap.

Its one of them Bluey, its worked ok without the bit for ages and probably would for another 1000 yrs but if I saw that when I was doing a boiler service/CP12 cert, for you Id have to classify it as ID and turn off your boiler.

This is one part of WB boilers that really does need addressed. They are so flimsily attached they could come off if a bird landed on it. The edge of the screw grips by about 3mm.

Terminal outlet WB Part no. 8-716-111-209-0
Order it through parts center or any other spares place.

Its one of them Bluey, its worked ok without the bit for ages and probably would for another 1000 yrs but if I saw that when I was doing a boiler service/CP12 cert, for you Id have to classify it as ID and turn off your boiler.

as i look at the photo i see a POTENTIAL for a problem therefore i would categorise it as AR and with permission i woiuld turn it off, certain test may prove it is ID, but as it stands from photo evidence only AR

Again, thanks for your time on this issue.

I'll be contacting the Gas Safety registered installer of the new boiler to see if any of this is covered under the manufacturers guarantee and also arranging for a gas safety cert and servicing of the boiler and magnaclean at the same time.

I will canvass Gas Safety registered engineers for quotes for all 3 elements (gas safety certificate, system service (boiler and magnaclean) and repair to flue) so as not to hold up the house sale as I don't have a good relationship with the installer.

They failed to register the boiler with the manufacturer and left me with a leaking radiator which they claimed required a new one and where British Gas simply tightened up a screw on a valve to fix it. 3 months later after ignored phone calls and emails about the missing warranty, including a claim that the manufacturers call centre were not returning messages left by them, I ended up registering it with Worcester Bosch myself - their contact centre answered after the first ring and it took 2 minutes to do this.....

Located in london. Can I beat £350 for gas safety cert, boiler/magna clean service and flue repair or replacement by a Gas Safety registered engineer (that's my first quote received to date)?

note to self, its the owner who has to notify the manufacturer of a new boiler installation, not the installer, he/she has to notify building regs/gas safeto issue building regs compliance,

Hi - just a quick question for the "ones with knowledge" --- Is there any difference if I had a
Multifit Flue Terminal 230/38031/1023 fitted? Boiler is a Greenstar 25 Si. Many thanks in anticipation.

Boiler will require a genuine Worcester flue terminal, not a multifit from a different manufacerer! This problem was raised in 2010!! Do you mean you have ignored the problem till now?

Thanks for quick reply..... no, haven't ignored the problem but had Googled the original question and found the forum. I am having a Greenstar fitted (started today) and my "man" asked me to get that part. I was trying to economise and had seen multifit advertised on an auction site so reply appreciated. Will go off what you say and order the original. Would love to know the difference though. Thanks again.

The difference is the manufacturer will not stand over your boiler should you hit problems in the future if you have a non recognised part fitted.

Is it worth saving a couple of quid to put the wrong part on and possibly risk the lives of your family? Your gas safe registered fitter should be doing this anyway as it is part of the flue system.

Boiler will require a genuine Worcester flue terminal, not a multifit from a different manufacerer! This problem was raised in 2010!! Do you mean you have ignored the problem till now?

It's a different guy buddy :)

Hi Croppie -----Is that the only reason. The warranty is not valid because I bought second hand and the owner didn't have pipework. As the terminal was at the end of a pipe outside and not directly fitted o the boiler I had thought that a multi flue terminal would be OK so, apart from manufacturer warranty is there any other reason please? Sincere thanks to all.

I genuinely want to see what he comes back with.

And the guys tearing into him as I think they're about to might make others think twice in the future.

I'll keep a very, very close eye on this one.

It's ok. , you can run a second hand( probably stolen) combi on a bit of 100mm soil pipe with a bit of 50mm solvent in middle? Reactions way oTT. Blokes probably trying to save a few quid? Probably got an idiot to do install........ Problem is the boilers probably going to cost him more in spares and repairs than a new boiler! Doh!!!!

Think his brain is missing along with jig, flue and a competentuu GSR

Incredulous. ... multifit is a brand name from a manufacturer, it does not mean its a 1 size fits all solution to boiler flues. The very fact that you are asking this type of question, and proposing what you have suggested is proof that you should not be charged with sourcing components for your heating system.
Trying to think of a comical analogy for this scenario.........

There are no funny analogies for someone using the wrong part on a machine that then kills there own family, just so they can save money fitting a second hand nocked off boiler with an incorrect flue.
Why not save the hassle of fitting a flue, that way you will definitely save money and definitely die.

Last edited:
Are we absolutely positive your GSR is talking about the terminal and not a lead flashing?

Thank god I only do oil!

Is it Bernie working his ticket in disguise?

Where is the emoticon for sitting with my head in my hands, slowly rocking backwards and forwards?

you miss it dont you ray?! ...... Join us! Join us!

You are a git Adam, did I ever mention that before?

Now that your Auntie's sink is installed, have you got the right mixer on it yet for the low pressure?

You are a git Adam, did I ever mention that before?

Now that your Auntie's sink is installed, have you got the right mixer on it yet for the low pressure?

She rang tonight! I'm thinking of just buying her an urn for the hot water. Gotta drop you some money in before I visit the tackle shop too!

She rang tonight! I'm thinking of just buying her an urn for the hot water. Gotta drop you some money in before I visit the tackle shop too!

Step 1. Fix aunties plumbing

Step 2. Return whichever of the 3 mixers I sent you which haven't been used in your random attempts to get the poor lady's water running

Step 3. Pay our invoice minus the credit for return

Step 4. Visit tackle shop

missed page 3, but only need to say "what a plonker"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Missing Flue terminal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock