Search the forum,

Discuss Mira Excel (1990-1996) modern equivalent needed in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Years ago I installed a Miral excel 1990's thermostatic mixer. It was an ugly thing compared to todays standards, but it had the advantage of the option to orientate the feed pipe upwards, downwards or backwards as the main body was screwed to the wall. Is there a modern equivalent?
The reason I ask is that the bathroom walls are solid and I would like to use exposed chrome pipework rising vertically towards the ceiling from the mixer as I did in the previous installation in the earlier house.

New Mira excel ?

It does not have the facility to orientate upwards only horizontally backwards

So hot and cold pipework on the surface going up ?

You can do what you wish using the Mira Excel.
You basically swap the outlet nipple from the bottom to the top, then rotate the whole valve 180 degrees so that the inlets are now pointing up.
Then you remove the cartridge and flip it 180 degrees and reassemble with all the knobs pointing the correct way.
(although in your case you could leave he cartridge in factory position and then plumb it in with hot on the right - I wouldn’t do this, just keep hot on left and flip the cartridge to keep things standard for the future).
It’s a great valve and will last 20 plus years easily.

You can do what you wish using the Mira Excel.
You basically swap the outlet nipple from the bottom to the top, then rotate the whole valve 180 degrees so that the inlets are now pointing up.
Then you remove the cartridge and flip it 180 degrees and reassemble with all the knobs pointing the correct way.
(although in your case you could leave he cartridge in factory position and then plumb it in with hot on the right - I wouldn’t do this, just keep hot on left and flip the cartridge to keep things standard for the future).
It’s a great valve and will last 20 plus years easily.
Thanks for that, I downloaded the mira excel instruction manual to see what's required, you also have to disassemble the the flow lever assembly and rotate the the stop ring 180 degrees all of which seems quiet involved, but maybe makes more sense with the apparatus in front of you.
I also looked at the mira minilight as an alternative as it can easily be installed for a falling supply but it did not seem to have a flow controller although the miniduo has one which I think is similar to the excel but less expensive.

Last edited:

Reply to Mira Excel (1990-1996) modern equivalent needed in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock