Search the forum,

Discuss Metal slivers coming out of all the hot water taps. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys any advice much appreciated. We had a new Baxi 630 combi boiler fitted last July. The last few weeks we have had what we thought was sand residue left in the sinks and bath. Thinking it was the water board doing whatever. Now we realise they are magnetic slivers of metal and only coming out of ALL the hot water taps. Cold completely clear. I have tried flushing all the taps for ages and it makes no difference. The metal slivers are shiny and can be picked up by a magnet. I have contacted our installer who in turn contacted Baxi but they just said it must be the house plumbing because they have a stainless steel exchanger . There are no valves in the house which we have been in for 30 years. I have checked and traced the pipework in the loft and under the floor. No metal valves and all fittings are brass or copper.
Any suggestions?

Doesn't sound like steel pipe as that would be rust and would be dark brown.

Is the grade of stainless used by Baxi non-magnetic?
Thank you for your reply.I really don't know. I know that there are different grades of s/s and some have a carbon steel content and only the highest grade used for marine are "pure" s/s.There is definitely no steel pipework in the house. I'm quite disappointed with the way they have reacted. Surely you would think if it is the exchanger they might have received a poor quality batch and in their own interest at least check it.

The Baxi boilers I'm aware of use ANSI 316L stainless steel for their heat exchangers. In its annealed condition this is not ferromagnetic but it can become ferromagnetic after welding or cold working.

It doesn't seem very likely that 'shiny' ferromagnetic particles suddenly start being from 30 year old copper plumbing.

Thanks for your reply.I don't think so either. Our plumber who fitted it is coming round this week to check out. The cold intake and hot output are very easy to access at the boiler. Supposing the boiler hot water and cold water p/work was disconnected and a flexible pipe was fitted between them completely bypassing the boiler , this would either eliminate or prove the boiler was at fault , wouldn't it ? The boiler does not need to be heating the water for the particles to come out. I've flushed the hot taps for ages with the boiler switched off and still get the metal coming out.

Yes that should prove it, obviously need to clear what’s in pipes already - but if it’s the boiler responsible, you should run clear after a few minutes.
Maybe pulse it on/off to catch any stubborn bits.

Okay guys thanks for your replies. When our plumber has checked things out I'll let you know the outcome either way.
It's taken all this time for the water be completely clear. Baxi engineer came out and changed the heat exchanger which did have particles inside but didn't look like it was causing the problem cleaned out the boiler and gave it a clean bill of health. Our plumber came back and completely renewed the hot water outlet pipe. Waited a few days ,no difference . He came back and renewed the cold water inlet. When removing the pipework it was full of scaly "crud" which looked "shiny" when in water. Obviously the culprit. The expansion pipe must have filled up and dried out over time and the central heating water dried out and whatever was in it stuck to the inside and took the best part of a year to start coming off. Both the engineer and plumber said it was normal practice to utilise the C.H. header tank expansion and pump header when changing from a system to a combi. Maybe so. Just giving you guys a heads up if you encounter something similar in the future.

Reply to Metal slivers coming out of all the hot water taps. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock