Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Megaflo or Plumb Centre Store Branded Version? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simonabsolute

Hi there. I am new to site and need some expert advice...
Have we installed an inferior system?:confused:
We recently asked a plumber to install a megaflo boiler into our house and new boiler (Worcester Greenstar 40 CDi) they advised us that a branded Centre Brand one was as good and was in fact also made by megaflo. I told them I was not interested in saving a few quid to get an inferior system but they assured me there was no difference other than the expansion cylinder? being seperate.
Long and shot is that it does not give us good pressure in showers and when you turn on kitchen tap you end up getting burnt in the shower.
In our previous house we had a megaflo and had none of these problems, it was superb.
Have i done the wrong thing installing the branded system? Thanks for your time in advance.
Simon
PS. Also just paid £500 to have new 25mm water main run to the house which then goes onto 22mm cooper to system.

it is highly likely that the PC is a branded Mega flo cylinder

The shower wil spike in temp if its a manual one

If its thermostatic then it shouldn't

Do you know what mains preesure you have got?

Sounds like you will need to get the installer back out

centre brand are the plumb centres own brand and theyre thought of as budget materials.

ive not compared a megaflow to the centre brand version so wouldnt know the differences. But your flow is determined on the mains. have you tried to check with flow cup and pressure on the cold mains compared to what you have from the cylinder?

if the pressures are different this could of damaged the cartridge in the shower.

Last edited by a moderator:
These systems are only as good as your flow and pressure, if any of these are low then you will have problems, it sounds like your incoming mains flow or pressure are to low, if your flow rate is below 20lts/min then you might struggle to have a good shower and working taps as well. Call the installer back for a chat, you might need an accumulator to boost your flow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not saying this is the case but these days people are very good at deciding what they want and getting people to install just that,if they discussed things properly before hand a decent plumber will do basic checks to see if systems are suitable for the given circumstancse.
ie fitting a unvented cylinder without checking pressure and flow rate.
good luck getting things sorted and defo get your installer back in!

Plumb Center told me the Center Brand was made by Santon.

Firstly want to say thanks to everyone for replying, it is much appreciated.
I take all your points on board and will get the installer back to take a look.

One last thing to add ask though. Would the fact that it take at between 30 & 60 seconds to start getting hot water anywhere in the house also relate to water pressure?
I am wasting so much water at the moment.

Thanks
Simon

dpends how long the run from the cylinder to hot draw off is matey - i can understand your concerns but really without a design layout or actually looking at the job it would be hard to say.

check to see that your cold suppplies are taken off the combined valve such that hot and cold run at 3.5 bar each so that hot and cold both run at the same pressures, this may help spiking and temp fluctuations. if its low pressure on your mains slap in an accumalator as mentioned earlier ( need a big cupboard tho)

thanks again for all you help guys. will report back the end result when we get there.

Cheers
Simon

Just to update everyone. Had another plumber come around he has checked my system out and says the problem is that I am getting less than 1 bar of pressure.
He cleaned out various parts which he also said were full of muck but long and short is to make it better I need an accumulator to get best out of it and to stop us burning oursleves in the shower when the cold tap is turned on downstairs. Frustrated that the previous plumber did not check the pressure before we started. Nevermind you live and learn.
He also suggested that the branded unvented cylinder is not as good as the Megaflo but advising it is not worth changing now because I will not see any massive improvement for the cost involved.
Again thanks to all who replied and helped.
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Megaflo or Plumb Centre Store Branded Version? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock