Search the forum,

Discuss Making compression fittings in tight spots in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bright spark

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Does any1 have any neat tricks for working on compression fittings in tight areas.
Does any1 use any ratchet spanners etc or just take lumps outa your fingers.
i know push on fittings are a god send but can't b used on gas.
thanks

A few tricks, where possible, can make life easier.
One is to first compress anything you can out of place and then redo the joint(s) by hand in position so that just needs a nip up with a spanner.
Paste fittings so that it has less friction so less force and no squeal.
Have a wide jaw short arm Bahco adjustable for awkward spots. (I use 8")
Use a compression elbow with a short piece of copper in one end to use to tighten to other side of fitting, giving you plenty of leverage and only needs one spanner. Do make sure depth of elbow is same as connector or whatever actual fitting is to finally tighten to that nut & olive though!

Last edited:
I bought a cheap stubby wide jaw, then made it a mega stubby with the help of a 4" grinder...

monument tap spanner, 6'' widejaw bacho, open end ring spanner.....
then, if in doubt..rip it out and re-route.

dont they sell them at plumbcenter?
chrome or black one?

Aye i just had a look and they have 85R, the ring key one which is a bit bigger but never slips and moves in smaller steps.
Some price tho £120 list!!!

I gave this one a wee rub with steel wool since it has been neglected at the bottom of the bag
20170223_220340.jpg

Aye i just had a look and they have 85R, the ring key one which is a bit bigger but never slips and moves in smaller steps.
Some price tho £120 list!!!

I gave this one a wee rub with steel wool since it has been neglected at the bottom of the bag
View attachment 29006

Ahh! not got one of those, i have the bigger ring type (not conex) there a bit bulky & awkward at times tho'
stick me in yer will, will ya ;)

I use tiny knipex pump pliers in tight spots, they work well backwards as well.

I find a lot of swearing helps, but try and do as much out of place so only needs a nip up and always use paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Making compression fittings in tight spots in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock