Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Magnetic filter and inhibitor in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. bjl

bjl New Member

Hi
    we have a new boiler fitted 3 yrs ago with a magnetic filer cartridge and inhibitor??. over the last couple of years we had to top it regularly due to a small leak. Hopefully the leak has now been found and the cartridge is overdue changing. Should i drain the system down fully and replace with fresh water or should i keep the old partly treated water in there when i replace. surely the fresh water will have more oxygen in it causing more corrosion??? it does look to be fairly clear when i have drained off a bit
    thanks

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I would add a l of fresh inhb in

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vicdiy

Vicdiy Member

They don't change the cartridge just isolate with the valves and empty. If you google the make it will show you how. As ShaunCorbs said I would just add more inhibitor, you can't really have too much.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bjl

bjl New Member

Yes im going to change the inhibitor but is it better to drain the old water out and fresh water in or keep the old water in

5. Vicdiy

Vicdiy Member

Personally as you said it looked fairly clear I would keep the old in and top up.Your filter should have got rid of most of the rubbish

6. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

Clean the magnet down in a plastic bowl with an old dish cloth and cold water