Search the forum,

Discuss Low loss header in a central heating system in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

paulusgg

Gas Engineer
IMG_0191.jpeg

This is our heating system that was originally installed to support a GSHP. The GSHP has since been replaced with a gas boiler but the UFH has never worked satisfactorily. My plan is to install a Low loss header in the system where shown on the sketch. Will this work?

Is the boiler a heat only boiler with the circ pump pumping into the boiler return?
Has each UFH got a mixing valve (TMV) and a manifold pump?
Do you want to have the cylinder heating on at the same time as the UFH?

Hi John, thanks for your reply
The boiler is a Worcester System boiler so has its own pump. Each manifold also has its own pump but as they were originally paired to a GSHP there is no TMV as the water from the GSHP was generally cool enough for the UFH circuit. The cylinder is “always on” and controlled by a cylinder stat.
A low loss header, from what I’ve read about them, seems to be the perfect solution for this situation but of course I’m always willing to be pointed down the road of righteousness!

Depends on boiler output and the output of each UFH system and if you plan to run them all together.
On your system if the boiler output is sized to the total UFH+cylinder demand, then assuming that the boiler flowtemp is set to the UFH flowtemp requirement and assuming a manifold dT of 10C and the same for the cylinder coil then you won't be able to run them all together because the max boiler heat exchanger loss is based on a dT of 20C, so the boiler circ pump would require 4 times the head. A typical UFH system with a TMV and manifold pump will only send a max of ~ 45% of the UFH circ flow back to the boiler even allowing for some boiler by pass to increase the return temp so it would run with a UFH dT of say 10C and a boiler dT of ~ 15C and even with the HW heating on shouldn't exceed the max flowrate.

Last edited:

Reply to Low loss header in a central heating system in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock