Discuss Loud noise coming from stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello sorry if this message doesn’t go to the correct part of the site I’ve just joined and need help. Problem I’ve got is whenever I run any tap in my house there is a loud droning noise a bit like a ship. You hear the noise anywhere downstairs or upstairs but especiallyunderneath the kitchen sink where the stopcock is! If I open one tap anywhere the noise is there if I open another tap the noise gets louder if I open theboth taps up full or even a thirdtap full the noise gets really loudand then you hear it disappearfast, after it has disappeared andI close the 3rd tap the noise is still not there, after I close 2ndtap the noise is not there, and obviously when I close the lasttap it stops. But when I startagain and open any tap sameagain the loud noise is there!Don’t think it’s water hammer asthere’s no banging. I recentlyfitted a new downstairs toiletand sink with new mixer tap. Ican’t really remember if theproblem was as bad before I installed the new stuff. I’veturned the inside mains of at stopcock and also outside mainsto have a look at the stopcock, changed the washer on thestopcock but still nothing. For a moment when I changed thenew washer I ran the kitchen tapand there was no noise at all,but it only lasted for a min thenit returned. If I get to the bottomof it I’m sure I’d manage to fix itmyself but just don’t knowwhere to start.

You say you changed the washer on the stopcock, was the jumper( the part you put the washer on ) really loose? Sometimes they wear so much, the flow of water can spin them and cause a horrible noise.

You say you changed the washer on the stopcock, was the jumper( the part you put the washer on ) really loose? Sometimes they wear so much, the flow of water can spin them and cause a horrible noise.

Yes the part that washer goes onto was loose, but thought it was almost as loose as a new one that I had purchased. I would have fitted new insert but new one was to small to just took back to shop. You reckon I just need a new stopcock insert?

Yes the part that washer goes onto was loose, but thought it was almost as loose as a new one that I had purchased. I would have fitted new insert but new one was to small to just took back to shop. You reckon I just need a new stopcock insert?
Replace the stopcock

It’s worth a try, they’re only a few quid. Not saying it’s definitely the problem, but it’s worked for me so many times.

Hi,
Its a small steel cyliner fitted inline after the stopcock that absorbs pressure fluctuations when a tap is opened.

It is probably best fitted as close as possible to the tap making the noise.

The noise is made throughout the full house from any tap that is opened but but is loudest at the stopcock. I’ll try replacing the inside of the stopcock first of all and see if that helps, thanks for the reply’s

Honestly don't think it's your stoptap at all... Going to be a tap cartridge on one of your taps. Do you have any lever taps, 1/4 turn taps? If so isolate them all to eliminate the noise turning one on at a time until the noise reappears then you will know which tap is the culprit. By isolate I mean on a isolation valve hopefully on the pipes leading to taps.

Honestly don't think it's your stoptap at all... Going to be a tap cartridge on one of your taps. Do you have any lever taps, 1/4 turn taps? If so isolate them all to eliminate the noise turning one on at a time until the noise reappears then you will know which tap is the culprit. By isolate I mean on a isolation valve hopefully on the pipes leading to taps.

I don’t have any lever taps or quarter turn taps. I did install a new waterfall tap in a new toilet suite but that’s brand new. Any tap that I open up downstairs or upstairs you hear the noise coming throughout the full house but when I open cupboard where stopcock is the noise is really loud

Cold water tank in the loft? If so check here by gently pulling the ball cock up to stop the water.

So have you isolated the tap and tried another tap and the noise is still there?

So have you isolated the tap and tried another tap and the noise is still there?

Yes the new waterfall tap that I fitted. I isolated that wee while ago cold and hot

Yeah I tried that a wee while back, isolated the cold and hot on the new waterfall tap and the noise is still there. Doesn’t matter what tap I open up the noise is still there. But any tap that I open up the loudest part of the noise is when I open cupboard where stopcock is at. Any tap that I open the noise is there if I open another tap it gets louder then if I open a third tap it gets really loud and at that point it disappears with the 3 taps on full. If I then close the 3rd and 2nd tap so that the last of the 3 taps are running the noise has still vanished then I close the last tap. Start again from any first tap and the noise is back

Could be a ballvalve in a toilet, could well be the stoptap itself. Shock absorber like Martin said could work but I'd rule everything else first as they are quite pricey.

Could be a ballvalve in a toilet, could well be the stoptap itself. Shock absorber like Martin said could work but I'd rule everything else first as they are quite

I put a new toilet in new suite, and changed the ballvalve washer in top toilet. I’m going to replace the insert in the stopcock next week and see how that goes. Thanks for all reply’s and I’ll let yous know how I get on

Isolate the cold main externally and change the stopcock I would guess it is the loose jumper type and has failed . Cheers kop

Thank you I’m going to give that a go. The internal part of my stopcock thread is 1 1/4” are these easy to pick up? Got one from toolstation but internal part was smaller than the one I have

Is there a check valve fitted above the stopcock. Some cheap versions of these make an awful noise when water is passing through them.

That’s a few pics uploaded of under the sink, and there is a check valve above the stopcock as you will see

View attachment 34013

View attachment 34014

If I was to replace the stopcock and check valve to try and eliminate the problem, would there be enough room in between the pipes to remove and re fit? Just think it looks a tight fit that there would be no room to remove check valve and stopcock once nuts loosened without having to pull on some pipes? Thanks

Hi mate there will be enough play on the pipework to change both the NRV and Stopcock you can get them from any screwfix branch . Cheers kop

Screenshot_20180718-195418_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20180718-195345_Chrome.jpg

Remove the check valve and hammer the internals out of it then refit. This will help eliminate the valve as your problem and can be properly replaced at a later date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loud noise coming from stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back