Search the forum,

Discuss Looking for qualified Plumbing training course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

markd

/ gas qualified training if anybody has a pre booked training course and is unable to do the training in Bristol / Cardiff may consider other areas [email protected] HAPPY XMAS TO ALL

I was looking into going on a plumbing training course but the cost seems very dear but i have seen 1 or 2 courses on sale on hear as people have paid for the course but are unable to do the course please don`t reply if you have nothing to offer
Cheer`s

He did have something to offer. A requirement to have your requirements better explained.

hear [sic].... cheer's... thought about an english course as a priority first????

I was looking into going on a plumbing training course but the cost seems very dear but i have seen 1 or 2 courses on sale on hear as people have paid for the course but are unable to do the course please don`t reply if you have nothing to offer
Cheer`s

Know I have not , I did not realize i would need a degree in English to train to become a qualified plumber

no degree required mate but a good understanding of English helps when dealing with customers. The course also has a lot of theory

Know I have not , I did not realize i would need a degree in English to train to become a qualified plumber

I think you mean

No i have not, I did not realise I would need a degree in English to train to become a qualified plumber.

No lad you don't need a degree just GCSE standard it really does make a difference when you apply for a job or work for yourself.

if you cant spell do you sincerely expect a prospective employer or customer to expect that you can plumb or do gas work aswell.

Okay this seems like a good place to start. Hello all, i am looking into a career change, plumbing. I think it suits my practical skills and need for a job that i can look at and say "i did that", in a good way of course. The first and most important question i have is, What is the line of qualifications i need to be able to say i am a qualified plumber? I currently work shifts and i am aiming to pick up Q's on my four days off with some holiday used here and there, over the next two years. So i am hoping a combination of short courses will get me started?? I have an unrelated degree in engineering and management....not English... as well as some basic practical skills, i.e put my own bathroom in my old house. If anyone can help on this first step it would be a great help many thanks. Lee.

The first and most important question i have is, What is the line of qualifications i need to be able to say i am a qualified plumber?

Answer here [DLMURL]http://www.ciphe.org.uk/Documents/MTC/Plumbing%20MTC%20Document%20Version%201%2003.07.07.pdf[/DLMURL]

However, no qualifications are required to be a plumber. I find it amazing that people pay for short courses when they could look-up most of it on-line.

Don't waste any money on courses, just have a go, everyone else is doing this. You could always employ a qualified plumber for ÂŁ10 per hour to work alongside you, which is cheaper than courses.

Note, the issues surrounding the industry are not associated with skills, but the ability to find work or run a profitable business. Very difficult these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't waste any money on courses, just have a go, everyone else is doing this. You could always employ a qualified plumber for ÂŁ10 per hour to work alongside you, which is cheaper than courses.

ÂŁ10 ! that's value for money.

my view on the industry is a little more professional, i think there are issues around skills not just running something profitable. Many companies which are profitable are also on rougue traders

okay i value the have ago approach, i think instalation of bathrooms and simple pipe rerairs are something i can do.. but when you start looking at intalling heating systems choosing pumps and boilers, gas work, etc gas sasfe registration surley there are things you have to do to achieve accreditation??

okay i value the have ago approach, i think instalation of bathrooms and simple pipe rerairs are something i can do.. but when you start looking at intalling heating systems choosing pumps and boilers, gas work, etc gas sasfe registration surley there are things you have to do to achieve accreditation??

I don't disagree that fuzzy's professional approach is the expected mantra, afterall Gas Safe bestowed the 'professional' title of 'Gas Safe Engineer' on a cohort of people who didn't serve apprenticeships, had questionable prior experience and only had to pass a standardised assessment in a simulated environment - the professional argument for our industry is debatable, given that 'professions' are usually associated with research, development, and autonomy to practice and self regulate.

I would be interested to know the aspects of the plumbing industry that are professional?

The reason I suggested self-learning is because of my lack of faith in qualifications gained in simulated environments. In addition, most of the curricula are made up of theoretical components that are arguably irrelevant to work situations (although they may be relevant to national occupational standards).

Join a professional/trade body as a student member and build a cpd portfolio from the free techical evenings you can attend in your area. Visit the library and take out books, look on u-tube for installation videos, take on small jobs and build your confidence - save yourself the over-head of courses.

As for gas work - all the 'knowledge' tested is 'open book', so it doesn't matter how technical the question - the answers are in the book or you can guess - 1 in 4 chance!. The practical is made up of simulated tasks that are standardised (easy to replicate) and easy to learn - hence why operatives can pass through the ACS with little prior knowledge.

I have more faith in the ability of human beings to learn on their own, than I do in the ability of human beings to learn from teachers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Looking for qualified Plumbing training course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
B
Hi All, I am a 16 year old school leaver (Sept 23) looking for a local company to take me on as an apprentice plumber. I live in Benfleet and am looking to join a plumbing and heating engineer 4 days a week whilst I attend College to gain my level 3 plumbing and heating qualifications. if...
Replies
Views
Billy Barnard
B
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for some advice on my little bathroom project. I took the bath out. I got a shower jacuzzi thing. The base has 2 wheels in the corner. Do I assemble the unit first attach water and elec, and slide the very heavy unit in on the two wheels? Or do I get the base in the corner and...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock