Discuss lockshield vs control/flow valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

On my radiators which don't have TRV's, on one valve is a plastic cap which can be turned which i assume to be the control/flow valve and the other valve has no cap, just a square head that could be turned with pliers. When balancing you alter the lockshield valve, how should the control/flow valve be set relative to the lock shield valve on the other end? Is the lock shield always on the flow or return end of the radiator?

Thanks

Doesn't matter which end the lockshield is. Fully open the other valve and balance the rad with the lockshield to achieve the desired temp drop across the rad

It doesn't matter which end the lock shield is on, fully open the other valve/s and balance the system then the other valve is used to adjust the temp, think of it like a trv fully open would be like 5 on a trv and nearly closed would be like frost setting

Surely the lock shield needs to be on the outlet of the radiator

So you can control the flow out of the radiator, thereby regulating the return temp differential

You can control the flow through the rad on the return or flow.....it makes no difference.

standard practice was to have the lockshield on the outlet, and the wheelhead on the inlet, trvs have replaced the wheel head but modern trvs are bi directional, so doesnt matter which end they are on, but most of us like to keep normal practice going, so we can id flow and return pipes for one reason, and keep life simple :)

You can control the flow through the rad on the return or flow.....it makes no difference.
So, with your thinking, if the return valve is wide open, and you turn down the flow into the radiator how do you maintain a differential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to lockshield vs control/flow valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the...
Replies
Views
Do people with this type of mixed flow temperature control have any problems with achieving the required manifold flow temperature? The one below...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
Our house was built in 2007 and we are the second family to live here - moving in in 2017. The central heating has been working fine - although...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock