Search the forum,

Discuss Lockshield valve removing cap in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Bathroom towel rail with straight lockshield valves as in picture. Can't remove the top to tighten gland nut as it is leaking. Must be possible to remove but I can't and don't want to force it off.
20230601_125232.jpg

A few years ago I ended up just changing loads of these on a new build estate. The customers would move in and turn them off and the minute they did they leaked. I have a feeling the heads are pressed on so you would have to pry it apart with patience a hammer chisel and thin wide screwdriver. We wouldn't warranty trying to fix them so just recommended changing and the customers were happy with that.

They are ceramic discs inside so its unlikely there will be a gland to tighten, either the cartridge seal or more likely that the o ring on the shaft has gone which means those valves are set for the bin anyway

Last edited:
A few years ago I ended up just changing loads of these on a new build estate. The customers would move in and turn them off and the minute they did they leaked. I have a feeling the heads are pressed on so you would have to pry it apart with patience a hammer chisel and thin wide screwdriver. We wouldn't warranty trying to fix them so just recommended changing and the customers were happy with that.

They are ceramic discs inside so its unlikely there will be a gland to tighten, either the cartridge seal or more likely that the spline o ring has gone which means those valves are set for the bin anyway
Thanks for the quick response to this. I had a funny feeling I would end up having to change the valves so you have confirmed this. Only pain is because it is straight valve through floor to bottom of radiator its not so easy to drain just that radiator without fluid leaking over the place. Will just need to close off all other radiators except in adjacent room and drain from there.
Many thanks again.

Reply to Lockshield valve removing cap in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock