Discuss Level 1, 2 and 3 enough? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chriswiltshire

Hi there!

My name is chris, 19 years old and i and new to this forum and also the plumbing industry.

Bit about me: I completed school with my GCSE's, I then worked along side my dad carrying out maintenance work for Murco Petroleum, work included, bollard fitting, tiling, painting, bathroom fitting, kitchen fitting, brickwork, floor&canopy washing, car wash refurbisment etc. Before all this I had to complete a course and a few tests so that I could get my petroleum passport card that would allow me to work on petroleum sites. ( alot of health and safety ).

The work was irregular and the multi billion pound company didn't like spending money on keeping the sites maintained and neither paying the invoices! The time then came when my dad came out of self-employment and worked for a company.

I was also studying BTEC graphic design while working for murco, I finished and passed my course which was 2 years and then went straight into freelance design, As much as i love to design brand identites for new and established companies as well as logos, and business stationery along with the odd poster, flyer etc I found that sitting behind a computer screen is not what I want to do for a career and that I love to get out and about. A more hands on job.

Therefor I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice, I have been looking at the plumbing courses in my local college book and there is :

Plumbing level 1 - (1 year)
- Open college network plumbing
- Performing Engineering Operations Electrical
- PEO mechanical

Plumbing level 2 - (1 year)
- City and Guilds 6129
- Techincal certificate level 2
- Performing Engineering Options level 2

Plumbing level 3 - (1 year)
- Introduction to gas safety
- Higher level industry qualifications.
( Most students choose to to undertake their professional gas qualifications at this stage to become gas safe registered)

If i was to complete all plumbing 1,2 and 3 levels would this be enough to get a job in the industry as a plumber? Would I have to complete any other courses to work on boilers? I would also be looking at becoming gas safe registered to widen my skills.

I have noticed that alot of employee's will only take on people with NVQ's level 2 or 3. But in order to get these I would have to get an apprentice right?

It seems the NVQ way is the best or is the level 1,2 and 3 just as good?

What would be the best route/course's to take that would give me a good all round skill set allowing me to work on plumbing, central heating, boilers, fires, hobs etc. I am willing to spend however long it takes to learn the skills so that I can complete the jobs right and safely!

I know you can just become a qualified plumber after the 6129 but this sounds like the quick and easy way and also limiting.

I will be going down to the college to have a speak with the lecture soon so if theirs any courses that you recommend I will ask him about them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck. Tough at the moment to get into the industry as it is, like everything else, in recession.

You need to get yourself an apprenticeship.

Level 2 paper quals are all well and good but there's no substitute for experience. You don't just want to be fitting bathrooms all your working life!

Thanks for the replies, Must I have level 2 city & guilds before i go into an apprentice learning my NVQ 2 and 3?

the nvq's are just an add on at the end of your courses where you are asked to complete various tasks in a workplace and are observed to ensure correct and safe working practices.

find an apprenticeship asap.............

make sure that the course/s you enroll on are the NEW ones. (which actually require employment/apprenticeship within the industry)

fuzzy will tell you more about that...

I went down to the local college on the open day, I spoke to the plumbing lecture and all he said was to start on city and guilds level 1 and then do level 2 and maybe 3. He also said once I have completed level 2 I can then work around the world....ahah.

I asked about NVQs but he didn't want to tell me about those..I asked about the apprenticeship route and he didn't want to talk about that either...To me it felt as if all the college wants to do is train you in level 1 and 2 then kick you out into the big world with no idea on how to better your skills...

If i was to find an apprenticeship asap what level would I start on?

level 2, the college lecturer maybe only dealt with the full time courses, without an job you cannot be an apprentice

The best way i believe still is to get the experience out on the field, then your eyes will open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Level 1, 2 and 3 enough? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back