Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking Pipework under floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

verdigrey

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Morning all ,
I could do with some advice please . We were asked to find a leak in a sealed system . Big 2 story house . Oil boiler , about 24 radiators . Has been gradually loosing pressure for about a year .
We went there yesterday and isolated the top floor , and dug down and isolated and pressure tested the further half of ground floor and o.k.
We pressurised the first part of the ground floor with the boiler filling loop to about 2.5 bar and listened .
The floor is tiles on concrete , we heard the leak just under a tile so we broke up the floor and found the pipework , 2 , 28mm flow and return and along side 4 , 15 mm pipes , all wrapped in Hair felt .
Any way we found several small holes in the 28mm copper pipe . i guess that was caused by cement eating thru the pipe ? The pipe was black , which I guess means that it has been wet for a long time .
Forgive my rambling , but my question is . Is it best to replace with copper again , but try and protect it better , before re concreting . There is about 30 - 40 mm of conc above pipes then tiles . I have seen copper pipe with a plastic coating ,but dont know if that is suitable . Maybe create some ducting out of wood , with a ply top and tile over that ?
Or replace it all with plastic pipe in conduit and concrete over it all . or another way ?
Any thoughts gratefully accepted .

hi sparkgap , thanks for your reply . Do you know if I put pipes in ducting , topped with ply . Then layed ceramic tiles , will the tiles sound hollow when they are walked on . the cust may not like it .

hi sparkgap , thanks for your reply . Do you know if I put pipes in ducting , topped with ply . Then layed ceramic tiles , will the tiles sound hollow when they are walked on . the cust may not like it .

plastic coated pipe or if you can (straight) put the pipe in waste pipe

Ive recetntly had to locate and fix simular type of leak, ground floor concreted and tiled ch pipework. Ended up chasing whole hallway. Had pinprick on 22mm pipe whole run was wrapped in denzo tape still concrete must have gotten through somehow.

I think concreting in pipe is just bad practice, screed maybe more suitable?

Yes, I expect it would sound hollow if you're dancing on it in your stilletto heels! :smile:
The other option that has been mentioned is the plastic pipe-in-pipe systems, there are several on the market.

Create a duct in the floor lag all your pipes, fill the rest of the box with Insulation, ply the top then screed over that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking Pipework under floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
Bungalow built in 2001. All copper pipework (water and heating) runs in channels of expanded foam polystyrene between a concrete floor and OSB boards. Pipe are lagged in stitched felt and what looks like bubble wrap with sand (?) over the top. During the bathroom refit, I lifted up some of the...
Replies
Views
I've had a burst pipe under bathroom floor. Ive had it dug up and made safe with the affected pipe cut and end caps fitted. The pipes are cover with a plastic sheet and then screet on top. I called out my gas boiler cover to make a permanent repair. The company they sent out have said it is...
Replies
Views
M
Found water coming up from under laminate floor in new bathroom. Once leak found should the bathroom fitter lift up floor dry and replace floor to stop mould? Thanks
Replies
Views
T
I have some internal water pipes (some plastic, some copper) that have to go under the kitchen floor. There is no way around having to do this. Rest of floor is concrete and pipes are currently in a trench (approx 5-6 cms deep, 4-5 cms wide). The trench will need to be concreted over before...
Replies
Views
TAGolko
T
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock