Discuss Leaking hot water cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Utilmap

From the attached photo is it possible to see if the joint and fitting is likely to be repairable and if so how.

David

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 123
Is that the hot water outlet or the tapping into cylinder coil?

Its difficult to see If its the joint or the cylinder itself leaking! Depending on age of cylinder you maybe able to repair, but when the joint has been leaking for awhile it makes it difficult to undo the old connections without causing further damage!

I would leave it until after xmas if its not leaking badly, if the cylinder is old then maybe worth changing that at the same time!

Looks like the coil connection to me. ( back nut onto cylinder).difficult to repair, when you try to tighten the back nut it splits the already perished washer ( inside the cyl) and then you have a big leak!
Like above you have 3 options.
1 leave it alone, its a very small leak.
2 have a go at tightening with a high risk of making it worse.
3 replace the cylinder.

as its christmas I would go for option 1..........

I had this happen to me one Christmas I noticed it whilst grabbing my shoes out of the airing cupboard on my way out the door for some drinks with the lads. Had a bag of plaster in the garage, quickly knocked abit of that up and smoothed it all in there. Stopped the leak and when I sold the house was still holding back the leak.

I had this happen to me one Christmas I noticed it whilst grabbing my shoes out of the airing cupboard on my way out the door for some drinks with the lads. Had a bag of plaster in the garage, quickly knocked abit of that up and smoothed it all in there. Stopped the leak and when I sold the house was still holding back the leak.

WTF, new one on me!

Not the sort of job you would want to call to late in the day to do a "nip-up"
I'd only try anything on that cylinder if I had a spare day to allow for a drain down (or 2), then when I couldn't fix the leak, fit a new cylinder
Don't know how successful a repair you could do on that, maybe a home made PTFE washer and some on the thread
But, as said above, I think it would be a job for the new year if it's not leaking too badly

i had that exact leak on a cylinder not too long ago, ended up changing the cylinder in the end.

Leave alone until after new year - DO NOT TOUCH IT - all the below hints are ace
my suggestion is as it is a low pressure joint - diy shops sell a type of epoxy resin in two bits rub together and apply to the outside of this join - but dry it out first with paper napkins
BUT DO NOT MOVE IT OR BASH IT - then think about a new cylinder
:92:
about ÂŁ150 + vat and you will get ÂŁ30 at the scrappy for old one Centralheatking
From the attached photo is it possible to see if the joint and fitting is likely to be repairable and if so how.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
That's it then.

binning the jet blue.
have got a bag of bonding and multi finish in the garage! :biggrinjester:

When I was an apprentice we replaced some 4 inch cast pipework at a stately home. The joints were make with hemp and neat cement.

if its the coil connector i hae manged to turn the nut back and wrap tape round behind then retighten but as already said i would do it after the new year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking hot water cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Has anyone one fit or serviced one of these before; Heatrae Sadia 25l 9004010. It a 25 litre hot water storage cylinder.
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock