Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking flush pipe seal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wales

Hi all, I have just installed brand new toilet cistern and BTW pan, everything works great, but I have got a very small leak from the flush pipe seal where it joins the pan, I only used a bit of washing up liquid to push the seal home, should I be using some sort of sealant on this plastic push fit seal or do you think I need to try another seal.

when you say pushed home, how far did you push the seal in?

when you say pushed home, how far did you push the seal in?

All the way, as far as the lip on the seal. But I have just found another thread on this problem which may answer my problem, as my flushpipe is not hitting the pan level as the cistern is fitted quite low down, so tomorrow I will left the cistern up a few inches, which will then allow the flush pipe to exit the cistern level as the connection will not be on the bend if you see what I mean. Will let you know tomorrow how I get on, but I presume that no sealants should be used.

you're quite right you don't need any sealants. just come back on here if you have any more problems.

i would trim the flush pipe shorter rather then lifting the cistern

If you are using the transparent pan connector for the flush pipe, take it off and use one of the white or black rubber bungs as these make a more reliable seal.

This is the best sort:
Toilet Flushpipe Cnctr - Internal | Bathroom Waste | Focus DIY Online

If the pan has a spigot at the back these are even better:

[DLMURL="http://www.fhshop.co.uk/viewItem.fh?itemcode=10312204"]FH Shop - Toilet Double Flush Pipe Connector[/DLMURL]

IF you get the latter you will need to put it into boiling water to make it pliable enough to stretch over the spigot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most defiantly agree to throw the rubbish plastic one and use a white rubber one, they are miles better.

Whack a bit of silicone on the outer lip of the flush cone before inserting- works everytime!.

Thanks for all of your suggestions, I have now lifted the cistern by 2 inches which in turn now makes the flush pipe exit the cistern housing horizontal. I will pop down to the Plumbcentre tomorrow and see if they have one of those rubber type seals, as I have that clear plastic one.

dont wack any silicon anywhere - it does not work every time . . .

That is what the rubber seal is for after all. If you are getting a leak with a fitting like this, its because you fitted it wrong!

Not sure what difference lifting the cistern will do. You can saw a bit off the flushpipe if needed.

Another beginners mistake is to mount the pan too close to the wall and later find that the seat won't stay up!

I went and got one of those rubber flush pipe seals today, it was a bit of a tight fit but with some washing up liquid I managed to push the WC Pan back to the wall and get the securing screws in place, and after quite a few flushes, all seems to be great now. So thank you for your suggestion of these rubber seals.

The reason why I lifted the cistern is because I had fitted it too low and that the flush pipe bend was almost in the bottom of the cistern making the flushpipe point upwards slightly as it entered the pan. So by lifting the cistern it meant that I could have the seal at bottom of cistern sealing on a straight section of the flush pipe and this pipe is now entering the pan level.

Bit late now but never use washing up liquid - it has been proven to degrade rubber. Use soft bar soap instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking flush pipe seal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock