Discuss Leaking drain-off on Heatrae Sadia cylinder. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Not the kind of thing I'd take on (having not touched cylinders before beyond tuning off cold feed gate valves) but said I'd see if I couldn't get some advice for her (and learn a bit of info out of interest while I'm at it.)

I've found that Baxi have a repair service (which is free if it's under warranty - read somewhere up to 25 years for some cylinders?) Don't know if her's is under warranty but will mention it to her.

But if it's not what the best solution for the leak? It seems to have corroded and is leaking from the body of the spout of the drain-off itself. Would she be better off getting a local plumber to do it or getting a Baxi engineer to?

I splurged some LSX on it while there just incase it stemmed the drip it in the meantime which it didn't seem to (before you ask I didn't make any charge for this...)

rsz_img_0327.jpg

Supposed to be qualified for unvented work, so if not, then probably best not to touch it. The 25yr warranty usually is subject to a service record every year being completed. If still under warranty, ring manufactorer for advice. A leaking draincock, if that is all it is, will probably not be covered under the guarantee. I would think only cylinder itself is covered.
Well worth having unvented ticket, as plenty of them about.

Last edited:
That is a vented cased cylinder and an old one at that. Possibly more than 25 year old. The drain valve would not be covered by any warranty but it will be easy fixed.

Everything is easy if you know how, the difficulty arises when the unanticipated happens.

That is a vented cased cylinder and an old one at that. Possibly more than 25 year old. The drain valve would not be covered by any warranty but it will be easy fixed.
funny i would count that as a new one the old ones were grey i know i grew up with one under the draining board

Where is the hot water taken off? It almost looked like it was just used just for the heating.

So can anyone give me an idea of what would be involved so I can let her know and refer her on?

I can't even work out how you'd drain the cylinder if the drain-off decides not to work. Not my kind of job.

rsz_img_0327.jpg

You could swap it for a std direct cylinder with 2 immersions. Nothing fancy about it. Just a cylinder in a case.
Probably dates from 1970's. The date may be on the plate at the bottom.
The drain valve will probably work ok but if it doesn't you could syphon it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking drain-off on Heatrae Sadia cylinder. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock