Discuss Leaking concealed cistern in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hon

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and hopefully someone can give me some advice. I have a gerberit concealed cistern which I can access from the top, when the toilet is flushed a tube is pushed up to allow the water to go into the toilet, my problem is that this tube doesn't fall down again and the toilet just leaks until I manually touch the tube and then it falls into place again and the cistern then fills up. How do I get this tube to fall back into place, any advice would be appreciated.

It's usually scale deposits that cause these mechanisms to jam open but otherwise work properly. The flush valve is removable for maintenance by reaching through the flush plate hole and turning the flush valve about an eighth of a turn anti-clockwise. Then it lifts up and out.

The feed to the cistern should be turned off before you do this as the cistern will continuously fill and run into the pan.

Most of my repair efforts on these type of valves have not lasted so I ended up replacing. For a short-term repair I've removed the flush valve assembly and given it a good clean with a toothbrush and running water around the hinges and plastic to plastic contact points that I could reach, jiggled it up and down a load and doused it in silicone lubricant spray. This was only to keep it working for a day or two until I could replace with a new one.

Post a picture and we'll try to identify the flush valve so you can get a replacement.

It's usually scale deposits that cause these mechanisms to jam open but otherwise work properly. The flush valve is removable for maintenance by reaching through the flush plate hole and turning the flush valve about an eighth of a turn anti-clockwise. Then it lifts up and out.

The feed to the cistern should be turned off before you do this as the cistern will continuously fill and run into the pan.

Most of my repair efforts on these type of valves have not lasted so I ended up replacing. For a short-term repair I've removed the flush valve assembly and given it a good clean with a toothbrush and running water around the hinges and plastic to plastic contact points that I could reach, jiggled it up and down a load and doused it in silicone lubricant spray. This was only to keep it working for a day or two until I could replace with a new one.

Post a picture and we'll try to identify the flush valve so you can get a replacement.
Thanks Stigster for your help

Attachments

• BB7B6D94-5713-46B8-B041-932A043B5130.jpeg
    BB7B6D94-5713-46B8-B041-932A043B5130.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 7C002142-C239-4CA0-975C-FAF755D89FF8.jpeg
    7C002142-C239-4CA0-975C-FAF755D89FF8.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 22EBCD91-AED0-4594-B293-8A9715DAFD14.jpeg
    22EBCD91-AED0-4594-B293-8A9715DAFD14.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 18
First thing to do is change the outlet washer.

They expand and get stuck on the edges of the basket / cylinder they are meant to slide into.
Carp design, the washer only has to expand about 2mm in the diameter to start causing problems

Reply to Leaking concealed cistern in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock