Search the forum,

Discuss Leak near toilet cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hAl

Got up this morning to find a damp patch on the ceiling in the kitchen.

I have traced it to a leaking joint that feeds the cistern on the toilet above, where the plastic toilet fitting meets the metal pipework of the house.

I have turned the little valve to stop the water feeding the cistern but when I tried to tighten the join to fix it I seem to have created another small leak where the plastic toilet fitting enters the cistern itself.

Any advice on how to fix this myself ?

I'm guessing maybe

- drain the cistern
- tighten joint between plastic and metal pipes
- reseal where plastic pipe enters cistern somehow
- refill cistern

Don't want to get a plumber out unless absolutely necessary but then it's quite awkward place to work and I don't want to end up breaking the toilet either.

Any advice appreciated

Your sequence of work is about right.

What you should have on the joint from the metal to the plastic is what is called a tap connector.When you take it apart, you will see a shoulder.On this shoulder fits a red(usually) fibre washer.This swells with the water thus sealing.

On the other connection, you could either put some sealant between the rubber washer,plumbers mait is ideal.But for the price of a new washer it is easier to put in a new washer, if you need it.You might be able to nip the one up that is already there.

HTH

Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak near toilet cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock