Search the forum,

Discuss Leak from combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maxi

Hi all,

I have a Baxi Combi 105e boiler that is leaking heating system water from the diverter valve. This first started some months ago so I had my usual plumber over and he changed the diaphragm. However since then, it has continued to leak from the back underside of the valve, where there is what looks like a release hole. The leak is now a continuous drip and I am constantly having to top the pressure back up.

For reasons unknown to me, my usual gas engineer kept failing to turn up to have another look, so today I got a new guy to come check it out.

My concern is that he is trying to make a bigger job of it than is neccessary... he says the boiler needs a service (which I agree with as it hasn't had one in the 4 years that I've been at this property). But he also said that the flue is not installed correctly as it should slant upwards slightly towards the outside wall (flue runs sideways to the right of boiler to exit external wall). He says he spotted it straight away and is surprised it hasn't been spotted before. My understanding is that the exhaust flue runs inside the outer flue and that should be slanted upwards slightly but he can't tell that it isn't just be looking at the external part, which looks horizontal to me. He says he wants to come back tomorrow to carry out a CO test, etc, before he starts throwing expensive parts at it, in case it isn't worth it, in which case we would need a new boiler if it fails the test.

My feeling is that it just needs a service, and the leaking diverter valve fixed or replaced. Am I correct? And is the leak in the valve an easy fix? Would it not just be the diaphragm sitting incorrectly , or something similar?

Attachments

• 20160105_194155.jpg
    20160105_194155.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 33
This plumbing forum will not provide advice to anybody with regards to boiler repairs or any other form of gas plumbing without you first providing us with your Gas Safe Registration number in a thread - for very obvious reasons. If you're not qualified to touch gas, you should stay well clear of trying to!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak from combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I recently had a renovation done. My builder installed a new Combi boiler instead of my system boiler. He connected the pipework to the digital pump. He did not inform us that we would need a new processor because we had changed to a Combi and subsequently a valve blew. Should my builders...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I'd like your opinion on something that is worrying me please: my landlady's plumber replaced the bottom/night element of my 20-year-old unvented cylinder (an Ariston Classico HE STD 150) 5 days ago and I hadn't noticed that it was leaking. He fixed the leak today but now the...
Replies
Views
Hello The heating side of my Ariston Combi A23 has stopped working since a new 3 way valve has been installed. It's been a hugely reliable boiler up until now with regular servicing. When the heating is turned on the boiler ignites and looks to start up but then a few seconds in, knocking sounds...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just had a "Main Eco Compact" combi boiler installed as the Biasi one failed. It seems to work fine, gives a hot bath, i dont ever use the radiators or kitchen hot tap. (no point in upping the landlords gas bill for no reason) On day 4, the pressure is below 1. I filled it back up to >1, but...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock