Search the forum,

Discuss Leak detection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

timjackson1982

I have a small darker patch (5cm diameter) in the middle of my kitchen ceiling in 1st floor flat. Patch feels very faintly wet to touch and slightly softer than other parts of ceiling. There is no water coming through the ceiling or discolourment.

I suspect there's a small leak from pipe in ceiling but would be grateful for plumbers' view on what this could be.

I have my own buildings insurance to cover my own pipes in the flat and have contacted freeholder regarding main building insurance. Freeholder's management company suggested its condensation from kitchen but I would be surprised as its not spreading and my kitchen is very well ventilated.

thanks

Tim

image1.jpg

There's only one way to find out for sure and that's to have a look at the cavity between your ceiling and your neighbours floor.
So you're either making a hole or your neighbour is lifting floorboards(if they have floorboards).

What is above your ceiling ? Bathroom ? a Radiator ? WC ? could be leaking from anything and just because that is where damp patch is does not mean that where leak is !!

Would advise not to make a hole is that textured ceiling coating, how old is the property?

Would advise not to make a hole is that textured ceiling coating, how old is the property?

He saying that the artex could contain a trace of asbestos if it's older than 1990. The leak is unlikely to be condensation from your side, not in the middle of a room, more likely to be a leak from above. I would notify the tenant up stairs, it could be something as simple as a once overfilled bath but could be central heating or similar. The upstairs tenant will be liable for the damage so best to tell them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak detection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
I have a growing damp patch on my ceiling, I initially assumed it must be from the empty flat above (and therefore cannot gain access), and have since used emergency cut off for that flat. I'm now wondering if it could a problem in my own flat, so cut a hole in the damp patch to investigate -...
Replies
Views
Hi sorry im a newbie, pls help if u can. I had a new bathroom installed about a yr ago and since then when i flush the toilet the room stinks of sewer gas. Not only does the b/room stink it also smells in the kitchen too, which is directly below the toilet/b-room. It doesnt do it everytime...
Replies
Views
I live in first floor flat. Flat below has a leak from ceiling. One plumber has fixed leaking trap beneath shower. Other plumber re-silconed shower trray. Leak persists. Plumber checked toilet cistern and bathroom. How can i find a plumber to do water pressure test on all my water sources to...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Recently all the water tanks in the attic were disconnected to connect to the mains water supply (mine was already on mains but the other 5 flats in the building needed to be connected to mains water) and the company were also going to fit PRV's and isolation valves to the pipework...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock