Search the forum,

Discuss Leak detection using a pressure guage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

davidb

Hi

I had a leak (now fixed) but the drying company says there is another leak (the floor showed damp after they removed their equipment). Of course they may be right ... but maybe it just needed longer to dry out.

So I got a pressure guage ... with the stopcock open it reads 2.6 bar. 30 minutes after closing the stopcock it still reads 2.6 bar ... so I'm thinking no leak.

BUT 12 or so hours later the pressure has droipped to 1 bar. So now I'm wondering is there a very slow leak ... or some other explanation??

Any ideas?

Thanks

David

I would say you have a slow leak

Isolate as many parts as you can to narrow down which part of the pipework is leaking

Good suggestion thanks ... I did isolate the downstairs toilet for this very reason (I could hear rhe drip in the cistern) ... but I'll check the upstairs one etc.

once spent 6 hours looking for a leak in a ceiling. Could see the water dripping down but for the life of me couldn't find where it was coming from. more by luck than judgement, found a pinhole in a pipe 6 feet away spraying onto the other pipework. Looked like a spider web cos the jet was so fine!

You could well be looking for a teenyweeny tiny miniscule of a leak IMO! If you have no airlocks anywhere then it doesn't take much water leakage to drop the presure 1.6Bar! Could well have been the pipes cooling down even? Just a thought :)

diamondgas I'm liking your thinking .... just to expand the question slightly ... with a combi can I asume 'open circuit' between hot and cold or is there a valve in the way. Reason for asking is the hot pipes were full of hot water when I took the first reading ... so that cooling down will reduce pressure in the hot circuit I assume .. would it also reduce pressure in the cold circuit?

diamondgas I'm liking your thinking .... just to expand the question slightly ... with a combi can I asume 'open circuit' between hot and cold or is there a valve in the way. Reason for asking is the hot pipes were full of hot water when I took the first reading ... so that cooling down will reduce pressure in the hot circuit I assume .. would it also reduce pressure in the cold circuit?

Usually open circuit davidb ... I say usually because some folk may have had a none return valve fitted to stop nuisance on/off issues caused by trapped air in the domestic circuit. It can be as little as a thimble full of water loss to drop the pressure to zero!

Try it, turn your main water isolation valve off and catch the water when you open a tap. That'll give you an idea of the quantity of water you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak detection using a pressure guage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock