Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Laying a new Service Pipe - do's and don'ts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

moleman

Hi Guys,

First off I'm going to be contacting Yorkshire Water first thing tommorrow with these questions, but so I can prepare some materials I wanted to sound you guys out first.

I'm building a new house on my inlaws property, an old unused farm (no contaminates - so don;t worry about that). I've contacted YorkWater and have applied for a new service pipe to be installed - all okay.

To keep costs down we're doing everything ourselves, apart from the actual connection which is costing us £1000 (£3K if we got them to dig the hole and supply the pipe :mad:)

• do we need to blind beanth the pipe with sand/pea gravel and do we need to mark the top likewise (such as with a drainage pipe)?
    • we're going to dig the trench and lay the pipe first, there's no indication where the exact location of the mains pipe is, do we just leave a tail end of 5m out at the location and let them sort it when they turn up?
    • will they want to inspect the depth (750-1300mm) and any connections needed (the distance is 150m, I may need to straight connect another 1-2m if my 150m roll is too short) or can we lay the pipe and fill - perhaps supply photos as evidence?
Like I said, I will be asking the board tommorrow - but these things play on my mind and I like to have things sorted in my head before I start.

Thanks

Moley

Have it fitted by an Approved Plumber, Yorks Water will have a list of Approved Plumbers on web site

as for laying a blue poly pipe youll need:
pipe
pipe connectors if using 2 rolls
think they come in 25m/50m maybe 100m
pipe inserts
builders sand 2/3 tone
1 roll of water pipe warning tape you lay it over the sand on top of the pipe
i get mine from builder center
1/half tone digger use hire station m8 there by far the best on price id have it layed in a day so hire
shood be about £80/£100 delivered.
tine of site marking paint (blue)
do you know if theres any services in your dig m8
mark out the most easyest & farstest way from end to end
use a 450mm bucket or if your a fat m,an (like me) use a 600mm bucket
min dig depth (750mm) i think.
after you have dug your pipe line go back and crumb it out (clean it up with your shovel).
stake in a lenth of 2"/2" at the start then use tape/zip tyes too fix the pipe too the stake
lay in a bed of sand first then start rolling out the pipe and fix in place at the end with 2"/2" then back fill with sand over the top
lay in the tape use stone/bricks too hold it in place as you goo
back fill with the digger pack it well with the bucket as you start getting level use one of the tracks and drive over the trench too settle the back fill grade off using the gradding bucket (i use it too back fill saves time
SORTED ( I was a ground worker back in essex) layed untold amount of pipe lines water/gas/leccie

id say £500 supply & fit
MDPE 50m+25mm/3 £21.69p each
MDPE connectors 25mm/2 £1.69p each
pipe tape (roll)/1 £20.00p each
sand/3 tone /£30.00p each tone
digger hire for one day/£100
materials = £278.45p
labour = £221.55p
PM ME IF YOU WANT MATE
soo thats a saving of £1500

Last edited by a moderator:
Photo-0223.jpg

Photo-0220.jpg

the last footing job i was on
DSC00396.jpg

DSC00395.jpg

DSC00377.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

ground works in kent

TOP! Thanks Tiling Spread, nice straight forward advice. We've hired a digger and operator and bought the pipe and fittings, it's a straight forward job.

The only issue I'm concerned about is if the water board need to inspect the water pipe before back filling, because we're looking to lay a gas pipe in the same trench. If the water board are happy with, say Photographic evidence of the depth and type of pipe used, then we can get it all layed and filled in a day, instead of needing to reopen the trench 3 weeks - any thoughts?

ecowarm - cheers, but how does anyone learn anything if you get someone else to do it all the time? Isn't it better to ask for advice, do some research, ensure all legal and safety issues are covered and try yourself? I'm a newly qualified plumber and you don't get many opportunities to practice jobs like this and learn invaluble skills, thanks for your thoughts though, i appriciate things could go wrong - :)

Over that distance I'd go for 32mm pipe mate

you know, that's what my first instinct was to.

the 25mm is on order, but not been processed yet, so I can cancel. The lady on the phone for Yorkshire WaterI asked, erm Friday I think it was, said "it's normally 25mm you'd use" so that's what I was basing it on.

To reitterate, I'm calling again tommorrow to clear things up, so I'll put it to them over that distance should be 32mm - thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Laying a new Service Pipe - do's and don'ts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock