Search the forum,

Discuss Landlord problem with gas boiler and plumbers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

POWDERPUFF

Dear ladies and gentlemen,
I am a tenant in rented house. The landlord has not had a safety check 2 years and the last one was by his friend who it seems was corgi registered then.

However in 2007 it failed a gas tightness test..can you tell me what that means?

in 2009 i called transco as i could smell something like rotten eggs all oveer the house ..the man came out an looked at the boiler and the sooting and shut off the gas first he made me turn on the heating an smell the gas outside and asked me if the smell was like that..i said yes..it changed smell after the heating went on...what does that mean?

anyway the landlord called his plumber and even though i told him we had no certificates for over 2 yrs and it was never serviced he didn't say much until i left the house with my son to take him to the hospital ..then it seems the plumber did some sort of smoke test and gave the landlord an unsafe certificate and a report.. now when i came back to the house the plumbers would not tell me what was wrong with the boiler and told me there was no paperwork.. and they all stood around laughing at me even though i was in bits after the doctors for carbon monoxide ..

i think it was a case of getting a job from the landlord and they would keep quiet.. anyway i got my own person to look at it who said the seals had been leaking and the flu as well...

ok another question..the black soot around the boiler i was told could be dust.. is this true..it is black ..not powder..and it smudges when you try to wipe it off.

sorry another question when you change a pcb...would the lights change from blue to orange..

and should any of the plastic narrow pipes [black ones] be taped up and hanging loose..

should the metal flu thing coming from the top of the boiler the hole in the wall is stuffed with paper around the flu pipe..

sorry lots of questions it's just my little boy before the boiler was shut off was stopping breathing in his sleep and i would lie at night nudging him..
thanks if you have time to answer me

too many qusetions and unimportant ones at that.
your landlord is legally obliged to provide you with cp12 yearly, and if he has any morals or regard to your life will actually ensire this done (ime a landlord by the way )
i would go straight to your citizens advice bureau or the council and explain the above tommorow. your landlord is dodgy and has mates - be prepared to lose this house but gain your life.good luck

yes indeed i am being evicted as i asked for the boiler report as the doctors would like to know how long it was leaking. I dont use the boiler or heating now so in some ways happy to leave.

thanks the council didnt do anything.. they didn't ring me back ..i a worried my son has been hurt and would like to know how long it could be leaking for..he's a little boy and the more i can tell the doctors the better..

If what you say is true, your landlord should be charged with attempted murder. Might sound extreem but if your landlord has failed to make sure your gas appliance is safe, that is unforgivable.
By the way, whats the make and model of your boiler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, the rotten egg smell would not be carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is oderless, thats why its known as the silent killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would call in the g.s.r and let them take it up as ou have nothing to loose.

jeez your landlord sounds like a right ****(a very agressive word but i think it suits him after what you have said about him.) landlords like him need their heads kickin in and all they care about is the money not the health and welfare of their tenants. like shaun said,goto the cab and see what you can do about him.....you are by far better just gettin the hell out of there and into a new property and a properly looked after one at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
you could also ring gas safe 0800 408 5577, ask for them to send an inspector immediately to investigate situation, quoting co problemsand hospital comments, which should have them raise a riddor report and active HSE into carrying out their own investigation. Gas safe investigate landlord and plumbers doing the work, HSE chases landlord as well for endangering life if proven.

thank you for the advice, i am moving in two weeks time i bought a little cottage in the countryside. and will use electric heaters. this is all complicated for me as plumbers study and acquire skills over years, my father and brothers all did their "time" in other trades and they are men of honor and i am proud of them .

i just got blinded with boiler speak..the boiler is a worcester bosh 19/21cb1. i am worried about my boy, i think it may have been leaking for a while.

does a gas tightness test mean a gas leak?

In my personal opinion, the choice is yours; you may have been lucky to get out alive and may just want to move on. The trouble is this Landlord will have got away with the situation, he may have put you and your family in danger and may do the same to another family who may not be so lucky, I would advise you book in and see a Solicitor as soon as possible, hopefully you have medical records available at hospital, Transco will have record ect, there is no copy of gas inspection and the boiler has been made safe but not removed, pictures should be taken now and official reports. Most reputable Solicitors will do a free consultation and once facts learnt may agree to fee on settlement of claim. The fact the landlord has served an eviction notice is matter of course in this situation and is good for you, as it will get him in court without you chasing him forever and allow him to be hit with counter claim if there is a case, which sounds certain, do not walk away and let this land lord get away with what he may have done, if they were stood about smiling and laughing, that could soon be wiped off their face and you could have the last laugh
You can contact gas safe and HSE but this should be done through your Solicitor, who will also be looking after your interests
IMHO

why is it all comlicated for you.
forget the situation and the boiler type (unless youve been fiddling)
tightness test equals gas leak. not co poisoning - different things. startting to feel concerned about your post! anything your not telling ?

In my personal opinion, the choice is yours; you may have been lucky to get out alive and may just want to move on. The trouble is this Landlord will have got away with the situation, he may have put you and your family in danger and may do the same to another family who may not be so lucky, I would advise you book in and see a Solicitor as soon as possible, hopefully you have medical records available at hospital, Transco will have record ect, there is no copy of gas inspection and the boiler has been made safe but not removed, pictures should be taken now and official reports. Most reputable Solicitors will do a free consultation and once facts learnt may agree to fee on settlement of claim. The fact the landlord has served an eviction notice is matter of course in this situation and is good for you, as it will get him in court without you chasing him forever and allow him to be hit with counter claim if there is a case, which sounds certain, do not walk away and let this land lord get away with what he may have done, if they were stood about smiling and laughing, that could soon be wiped off their face and you could have the last laugh
You can contact gas safe and HSE but this should be done through your Solicitor, who will also be looking after your interests
IMHO

very good advice,was about to say something along those lines:)

why is it all comlicated for you.
forget the situation and the boiler type (unless youve been fiddling)
tightness test equals gas leak. not co poisoning - different things. startting to feel concerned about your post! anything your not telling ?

I was looking at papers from 2007 it failed a gas tightness test..i didn't know what that meant.

fiddling .no i would switch it on when it was cold on the switch upstairs or when i needed hot water on a timer switch in the hotpress then you could hear the boiler when you came downstairs on the kitchen wall.

maybe i dont say the right words for the things but the transco man turned off the gas and told me to get the landlord asap. he was a very nice and helpful man and gave me a leaflet on carbon monoxide he didn't like the soot on the wall and rubbed it many times then switched off the gas.
i cant thank him enough he stayed checking for about 30-40 mins

In my personal opinion, the choice is yours; you may have been lucky to get out alive and may just want to move on. The trouble is this Landlord will have got away with the situation, he may have put you and your family in danger and may do the same to another family who may not be so lucky,

I am leaving a copy of all the papers with the local council tomorrow and the photographs. I phoned them twice when it was shut down in 2009 and then when i phoned to ask why no one came out i was then told to make a complaint against them not coming out instead of looking at the landlord. Yes i agree i will send all the copies to the HSE as well.
you see my family and I were threatened in writing by the landlord..my father is not able for this, my mother has cancer they dont need people on their doorstep. The police say it is landlord and tenant ..

thank you again . i think unless you have lots of money justice is hard to find.

forgive my doubting you. your doing the right thing - your landlord is in a big pile of you know what. and your going to be safe.

I faxed everything i had to the HSE and to the local council dept I did call both many times since it happened and now I havr faxed everything including the toxicology reports.

We are moving to a new house after the last cardiology test for my son so we know his heart is going to be fine.

thanks for all your advice and to be honest my faith in people had been shaken quite badly as it seems in this case money talks.

thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Landlord problem with gas boiler and plumbers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock