Search the forum,

Discuss Landlord checks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbp plg & htg

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Not wishing to tread on possible old ground here but couldn't find a search button. Can anyone give me a link to a possible site where its evidential that landlords DO get a fine for not getting these done or is there a statutory amount?

They only get fined if found out, not for just not getting the check done.

Now if the DVLA ran Landlord checks,,,

From Here; http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg285.pdf

What happens if I don’t maintain my tenants’ gas appliances?

Failure to do so may result in loss of life. Not only that, you risk being prosecuted, and this could result in you facing imprisonment or a fine of up to £20 000, or both, for each offence. If the case is then referred to the Crown Court the maximum penalty may be imprisonment, or an unlimited fine, or both.

Landlords usually employ cheapest and roughest installers. I did install last week, house had 2 month old cp12 ... Gas was tight. That's it... Fire was spilling, boiler never serviced and burner box had a few holes! Unvented cylinder had no interlock and just blew off when too hot! Gas safe is a joke. They never peruse unregistered installers just send a letter! Landlords just get a kiss!

You can find details of all of them if you search here:
HSE Prosecutions Area

i can tell you I have done that>
There are about 8-10 prsecutions of landlords for breaching gas regs each year. Of these most have not had an annual inspection but there are often other problem's too. Like tenants found ill with CO poison.

About 3-5 landlords are just prosecution for no Inspection.
However.
Before getting to this stage the HSE issue enforcement notices - you can search those as well.

They have to pay costs + fine. These are unlimited but usually add up to between £500 - £2,000 approx.
Prison sentences and tags and community service are all possible as they punishment is unlimited.

Their names stay in the data base for 6 years but the press releases appear to stay online forever.

10 out of 10000, that's good!
Exactly.
Statistically speaking I suspect it doesn't make sense to comply with the Gas Regs at all - just wait and see if you ever get caught.

There are relatively few prosecutions at all compared with the high no of illegal workers & illegal installs.

Fortunately most people don't want to live life so dangerously.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate people who aren't registered for two reasons.

1. I pay for registration exams and insurances so who shouldn't they. Although gas safe will simply pass the book on to building control, who are under resourced and have lots of other stuff to do. Gas safe only bother if some one has died... And HSE have done all the work or if their membership is low in one area. Capita - who operate gas safe are a profit making company and in my opinion only offer a lip service. I I.D. A job on about 5 or 6 different pints from obstructed flue to leak on gas pipe work. GS went and had a look, installer who wasn't even registered got a letter to say he should join GS, I got hauled over coals for not noticing an appliance in a disused part of the building which had to be stripped to find data badge to identify that 75% of ventilation was not present and should have AR! Needed to unlock two doors and strip appliance!!!! Tad past visual inspection. Gas was capped at ECV any way so would have found it when doing purge and relight!!!!!!

2. Non registered are usually muppets and or on what is know as mate safe. They have a mate who is stupid enough to sign off for them? He's loosing business and could help some one loose their life. But landlords love a bargain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Landlord checks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Does anyone know where I can get one of these? Toilet is leaking into the bowl. This one pushes in with a half turn but I can't find one anywhere.
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock