Discuss Laminate flooring in bathroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mdvp

Hi there,

I have bought some laminate floor that is suitable for bathrooms. My question is:

Should I fit this under the basin / toilet, or cut to fit around?

I am planning to fit it using a fibre underlay if I lay this under will this provide enough support for the toilet? (a thought I had was to replace the section of underlay that will be under the toilet / baisn pedistal with some plywood of similar thickness to the underlay to provide a more solid base)

Thanks

honest opinion,you should not fit laminate in a bathroom,you cant fix the pan to the floor properly if its on top and if its cut around looks bloody awful

Thanks for the honesty...

If I was going to do it, what do you think of the ply under the pan and pedistal - instead of the underlay - surely this should give a solid base to fix them to?

I thought that laminate is supposed to go straight onto the floor. Fix the wc and pedestal to the floor through the laminate.

It will be fine. Put floor down, then use screws with enough length to go through the laminate, underlay and finally the boards.
If you cut around the W.C., basi etc it will be a nightmare and look kak.:)

definetly lay it underneath. If you need to replace the toilet basin etc and you've cut round it you'll have a nightmare trying to get new appliances to match the wholes

Ive yet to see a laminate floor that doesnt lift slightly at the joins if water is spilled on it, even those that say that you can use them in the bathroom. If you do spill water on it get it wiped up imediately.
+1 fit the floor then bog etc on top!.

Laminate and carpets dont go in bathrooms, youll only be replacing it all in a couple of years after it swells and lifts, seen it happen all the time and carpet, no bloke can aim well enough after a few pints.

my advice is much what every one else has said bathrooms should be vinyl or tiles anything else is short term
nothing should go through the laminate as its a floating floor which is supposed to move freely thats why is got a 10 mm gap all round

i agree with all above laminate flooring in bathrooms is not a good idea

Thanks for all the responses.

The laminate says it is "commercial grade" with a 5 year bathroom garentee - it is a very small area 1.1 x 1.7 meters so I am not too worried about expansion and fixing things through it - (I will drill larger holes though...)

Thanks again for the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Laminate flooring in bathroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock