Search the forum,

Discuss Knocking pipes - resolved but mystified in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all , I have had an issue for months - water supply pipes knocking randomly at all hours of day and night - I tried a couple of fixes to no avail - water arrestor , cistern flushing valve.
Recently I fully opened the cold mains stopcock and voila - no more knocking.

So relieved to get a good nights sleep without being disturbed but curious why pipes would knock when stopcock partially open and not knock when fully open !

Can any experts shed any light ?

Kezzaa

Bit late for me to understand anything much, but no doubt something to do with the jumper on the stopcock being able to travel onto and off the valve seat acting a bit like a one-way valve.

Why was the stopcock partially closed? While I always back them off 1/4 turn from fully open just to make them easier to unseize if they do seize, I can see several disadvantages in having them any less open than this.

There were other replies that obviously haven't made it onto the new forum. Basic answer was that sometime people shut down stopcocks in a misguided attempt to reduce water pressure.

The actual result is reduced FLOW (in technical terms the standing pressure remains the same, but the working pressure falls) and then when you open two taps at once they don't supply much water.

If your stopcock turns on and turns off, then I'd suggest not faulty. They are usually quite simple designs that show their faults openly, so if it seems to work, then it probably does work!

Reply to Knocking pipes - resolved but mystified in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock