Search the forum,

Discuss Knackered Knees from decades of Plumbing and general abuse in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

centralheatking

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
This is to anybody whatever age on here with knackered knees...my LH is getting worse.
So what do you do please ? I will never have a knee replacement so use a very small amount
of ibuprofen to sleep when its bad, and beer on the odd occasion. Anybody got other methods
that work for them. I know it will get worse so any ideas welcome. centralheatking

Fortunately I don't have too much trouble with the knees. My back is where I get all the trouble. I have a small heated pad, like a miniature electric blanket that I have on my chair in the lounge and I find the heat does wonders for the pain. On a bad day when I get home and put that in the small of my back the heat coming through is bliss.

I wonder if heat could do the same for your knees? You could get one of these electric heat pads and either put it over or behind your legs, maybe a bit of both?

My knees have gone / going but don't keep me awake. (I'm 68.)
I use the Ibuprofen rubbing gel every few days or when they are aching.

Strangely I watched a knee replacement operation on TV the other night on Operation Live (repeated).
For some reason I'd always thought they cut the ends off each bone and fitted a hinged type joint but all they cut off is 10mm or so and then glue a plate (Titanium?) on each end.
Then they slide a plastic pad between the 2 plates.
Job done, 6 weeks to recover fully.

It wouldn't put me off, but I believe you'd have to be in quite some pain to justify them doing the op.

Fortunately I don't have too much trouble with the knees. My back is where I get all the trouble. I have a small heated pad, like a miniature electric blanket that I have on my chair in the lounge and I find the heat does wonders for the pain. On a bad day when I get home and put that in the small of my back the heat coming through is bliss.

I wonder if heat could do the same for your knees? You could get one of these electric heat pads and either put it over or behind your legs, maybe a bit of both?
I will certainly try it because warmth really does help ..specific pads look good to me and winter is on its way again
seen 61 so far ..I am suspicious of the warming gel stuff ...thank you chking

I've just had cartilage removed from both my knees. I was a tiler for a while. Mine are shot. They're better now than they were early this year but it's not an actual fix this cartilage op. I think they just remove that much that the nerves aren't there to register pain as much. But they lock up now easy and that wrecks. I just need twist a bit and they send shooting pains up my leg.

Need to get out on the bike more. Apparently that'll help. Strengthen the muscles around the kness to take the weight etc.

I don't think if I had the chance to, I'd change a single thing. :) I enjoyed tiling, and the experience has saved me fortunes paying other people to do stuff at home.

My knees have gone / going but don't keep me awake. (I'm 68.)
I use the Ibuprofen rubbing gel every few days or when they are aching.

Strangely I watched a knee replacement operation on TV the other night on Operation Live (repeated).
For some reason I'd always thought they cut the ends off each bone and fitted a hinged type joint but all they cut off is 10mm or so and then glue a plate (Titanium?) on each end.
Then they slide a plastic pad between the 2 plates.
Job done, 6 weeks to recover fully.

It wouldn't put me off, but I believe you'd have to be in quite some pain to justify them doing the op.
The main issue to my mind is ...which hinge do they use ? some TU ones are great an last
25 years plus ..that will do me 61...but some mickey mouse ones fail...happened to
somebody I know ..thanks for input...sleep is quite important ...chking
[automerge]1571149808[/automerge]
I've just had cartilage removed from both my knees. I was a tiler for a while. Mine are shot. They're better now than they were early this year but it's not an actual fix this cartilage op. I think they just remove that much that the nerves aren't there to register pain as much. But they lock up now easy and that wrecks. I just need twist a bit and they send shooting pains up my leg.

Need to get out on the bike more. Apparently that'll help. Strengthen the muscles around the kness to take the weight etc.

I don't think if I had the chance to, I'd change a single thing. :) I enjoyed tiling, and the experience has saved me fortunes paying other people to do stuff at home.
Dan maybe you could multi task ..get a home bike thing, pedal away and look after us at the same time, hook it up to a mini generator and run PF for zero and help save the planet.
Me ...I will climb into my diesel transit when I need and be buried in it I hope
centralheatking

The main issue to my mind is ...which hinge do they use ? some TU ones are great an last
25 years plus ..that will do me 61...but some mickey mouse ones fail...happened to
somebody I know ..thanks for input...sleep is quite important ...chking
[automerge]1571149808[/automerge]

Dan maybe you could multi task ..get a home bike thing, pedal away and look after us at the same time, hook it up to a mini generator and run PF for zero and help save the planet.
Me ...I will climb into my diesel transit when I need and be buried in it I hope
centralheatking
I try look after everything I can contribute to including the planet but I'd be buggered if I could peddle all day lol

A canal ride is a mission for me at the moment so can't see me being a good power source.

Reply to Knackered Knees from decades of Plumbing and general abuse in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock