Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen sink and washing machine water flooding back garden HELP! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amibari

Can anyone point me in the right direction here. When I tip a bowl of washing up water down the sink, it starts coming up through the flagstones on my patio and out through where the house joins the floor if that makes sense. It's not how my mums drains are, i.e. the waste pipe comes out of a wall and into a grid, the drain is concealed under the patio. Its hard to explain as I dont have a clue lol
Could it just be blocked or does it mean the pipes gone and we will have to get someone to replace it, how do I find out whats causing the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Amy x.

I'd say blocked and poss broken

How do I go about unblocking it because it isn't as if I can put anything down a grid to clear it out as the system is sort of concealed if his makes sense? If it helps water is going down the sink fine its just when it goes down further it comes out and floods the garden. Any idea if we can fix this ourselves?

Id start by tracing the waste pipe, probably digging up where its coming up through the ground.

Anyone on here know anything about household drains?? All I want really is a bit of advice about what will be entailed i.e. how much damage will be caused to my garden and a rough figure of what it will cost to get someone out. Or if its just a blockage, whether I can clear it myself?

If you take some photos then we might be able to assist. Pics of waste exit, where it goes into the ground, picture of patio, pic of where drain is on road and likely path from there, etc.

At the moment it's a little like saying "My car won't work."

Sounds like a back inlet gully which has been covered up by the patio (which is not smart thing to do) .. you need to pull up the patio flags and find the grate and then you can get some rod or hot water down it .. its probably grease build up .. usually getting your hand down it is the easiest way.
good luck

Thankyou! Sorry for being a bit vague but this is the first time I have dealt with anything like this. I didnt notice until this went wrong, how different our drain is to most I have seen. Our drainpipe is at the front of the house, and the kitchen is at the back and you cant even see the pipe from the outside as it doesnt protrude from the house, it appears to just go straight down.

I just hope its something simple to sort out.

If the drain is broken underneath your house then prepare yourself for a sizeable repair bill!!

Difficult to say without any photographs of the issue though.

If the issue isn't immediately obvious then I would have a CCTV survey done to see what's going on. DO NOT leave it for long without getting it checked though, water leaking from drains underneath your house is VERY bad news for your house.

Last edited:
i had a customer with similar problem, was just the underground waste pipe cracked, dig it out and if it is get a local drains company to come and cut out the broken segment and replace that section. the drains company charged my customer 120 quid so its not too expensive. (depends on location though)

i doubt it will be broken under the house, more likely that the weight of the patio flags has stressed the pipe.

Sometimes drains can be re-lined instead of a major dig down and repair.

Relining is expensive though had one couple months ago sewage water coming up from round bottom of soil stack cctv inspection showed crack on the old clay rest bend at bottom of stack was about ÂŁ300 ish to sort that out, but was a lot easier than digging up here hallway 2ft down and replacing the bend

Just replying to say that TGor was correct, it was gross lol but I was able to lift the flag and locate the gully cover and scoop out all the crap that was in there flushed it out with hot water and it is flowing through a treat now, thankyou very much you have saved me a fortune.

Just replying to say that TGor was correct, it was gross lol but I was able to lift the flag and locate the gully cover and scoop out all the crap that was in there flushed it out with hot water and it is flowing through a treat now, thankyou very much you have saved me a fortune.

Glad you have sorted out your blockage and thank you for letting us all know a small thank you on the forums is always nice to receive regards turnpin
icon7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Kitchen sink and washing machine water flooding back garden HELP! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am installing a sink in utility room. Washing machine waste already exists and is the verical pipe with the flexib pipe from the machine poked down the top and a with a u bend at the bottow going directly to outside drain. Is it OK to put a tee joint into the verical pipe and join the sink...
Replies
Views
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine waste but the problem is in the water supply. Currently there is only hot and cold washing machine hose fitting isolators attached to very short...
Replies
Views
A
My mum is trying to connect a washing machine and dishwasher in her kitchen. She got a guy out to do the job and he ended up making a hole in her washing machine hose and ramming the dishwasher hose into it, held together with masking tape and charged her 200 quid for the privilege of her...
Replies
Views
S
We had water leak from the laundry sink into the cupboard below, then flow down the hole cut for the pipes (the hole was on the floor of the cupboard).. this water then went downstairs and flooded the downstairs bedroom that is directly above the laundry area. It makes no sense to me to cut the...
Replies
Views
James Auberon
J
Hello I have ran my washing machine through the autoclean - i have added special detergent like Dr Beckmann yet still have bad smell from washing machine - i have also drained the water that sits in the bottom - any ideas? Could it be a piping issue? Many thanks!
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock