Discuss Kingfisher RS80 noisy/kettling badly. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I would like someadvice on my old Kingfisher RS80 MK2 (no overheat stat version) which is very noisy and the gravity returntemp is higher than the gravity flow temp.

I moved in 18months ago knowing the boiler would halve to bereplaced sooner rather than later. What I didn’t realise that it’s a singlepipe system which makes the job a lot bigger (new boiler location, pipework,radiators and possibly new cylinder required), I just need to get the boilerthrough to next summer.

Earlier this year I noticed every time the boiler wason, water was being pushed out of theF&E overflow (also only one radiator was getting suitably hot). I filledthe system with cleaner left it for a week and drained a couple of times. Thelast time it was drained I moved the pump to the CH flow side as indicated inthe MI’s and put a mag cleaner on the CH return. When fitting the pump Iremoved the non-return valve which appeared to be blocked and may well have beenthe cause of the original problem. I did not replace the non-return valve.

The water was no longer pushed out of the overflow and allthe radiators got really hot. What did start to happen was the boiler become very noisy and I wake up most mornings to a 21 gun salute which isgetting worrying and also the hot water is scalding hot (and the F&E tank water quite warm). The boiler thermostatis quite low (1) and appears to be working. I have noticed the gravity returnpipe temp is cooler than the gravity flow pipe (by 10F or so). On checking the manual can see the“Gravity Hot Water Return” and the “ Pumped Central Heating Return” connectionsare swapped. (The “Alternative Gravity Hot Water Flow” is being used). Wouldthis give the boiler noises I can hear?

What is the easiest plan of action. Should I move the pumpback to the return side of the boiler as it was for the last 25 years or so, I would rather connect as the MI’s state. If Iwere to swap the connections what should I seal the joints with, I’m a pasteman, should I use PTFE as well, are the connections likely to undo without toomuch hassle as access is quite restricted down the side of the boiler? ( I’mnot a heating engineer/plumber by trade, I’m a gas engineer and just dosuperficial plumbing work).

I’m also planning to convert to a C Plan to get some controlover the Hot Water Temperature. Allmoney down the drain I know but I get a sharp pain in the ear when the temp indoorsdrops below 24C .

I have some great advice from this site in the past. Thankyou.

Hmm i don't know where it stands on answering this as elements of this could let a have a go hero fill and melt their cold storage tank with boiling hot water. Another three posts and pm red saw or gas man with your gsr details and you'll get taken a touch more seriously :)
what i will say, it might be against mis but often pump positions on open vented/gravity sytems are often done for a good reason :)

New boiler be fine on a one pipe system . Just dont installer who is 10 years old and did a 45min fast track and hasn't worked on many one pipes . Not digging at fast track as it's an excellent route in but without experience it's pointless. Bit like an apprentice who only makes tea and cleans up .

New boiler be fine on a one pipe system . Just dont installer who is 10 years old and did a 45min fast track and hasn't worked on many one pipes . Not digging at fast track as it's an excellent route in but without experience it's pointless. Bit like an apprentice who only makes tea and cleans up .

thought one pipes to be binned these days no new boilers on them?

I like to have an open end on ch and leave filling loop connected to return , she's always condensing then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Kingfisher RS80 noisy/kettling badly. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock