Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss just disconnected a boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Jackson

And I've nipped home to get the camera so I can get some pictures for the report. I'll also be filling in a RIDDOR notice.

60,000 BTU/hr Open flued boiler in a compartment. Ventilation from the kitchen has been plastered over and new ventilation has been provided by two lengths of copex dropped into the cupboard at high and low level. This ventilation appears woefully inadequate and I could only find one length of copex emerging in the roof space and extending through the roof. Further investigation revealed that just below ceiling level an inline extract fan had been fitted turning the compartment into some sort of balanced compartment. The fan has been rigged to turn on when the burner fires but without any sort of proving switch.

Ingenious but not at all safe. I've classified it as two ARs on the ventilation and Ided the installation. The customer has just moved in and has been given a record that the boiler was serviced by another local engineer last November. When they moved in they rang the engineer who says that he hasn't been near the boiler for years so some one is telling porkies. They have spoken to their solicitor who has asked for a full report on the installation and will possibly be pursuing the vendor for forging the service record.

Looks like the smelly stuff is going to hit the fan big time on this one so I'm doing some serious arse covering and it will be strictly by the book.

Pictures to follow later.

I'll be forwarding the pics on to the mag. The previous owner must have been a bit of a whizz to sort it all out but without any idea of the actual requirements.

don't you just hate it when you turn up to find a blumin nightmare hope you get paid for all the trouble,and just make sure you cover your own back.:uhoh2:

So the flue is ok it's the ventilation all to cock with an extract fan pulling air in?

Yes, almost like someone has tried to create a balanced compartment. Pictures are uploading to Flickr at the moment.

Here's the pics.

This is the view that I got when I opened the cupboard

CQ9R0225 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

The instructions showed the boiler needing 212 sq cm low and 106 high from outside. 110mm soil gives around 80 so looking bad to start with, too low even for the high level vent.

Looking up inside the cupboard revealed.

CQ9R0229 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

So at least it's got high and low level but woefully inadequate.

I then noticed a wire coming from the longer section.

CQ9R0228 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

Closer inspection revealed this to be an inline duct fan which clicked on when the burner ignited. Somehow the fan has been connected so that when the boiler stat calls for heat it turns on. It was obvious that there was no proving switch because the burner lit and I then heard the fan spin up to speed. I didn't manage to work out what the bit of pump screwed to the wall was for.

Checking in the roof space revealed the kopex connected to the fan running to a vent slate.

CQ9R0235 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

Whilst closer inspection showed the other section connected to some rectangular ducting.

CQ9R0239 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

CQ9R0237 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

CQ9R0240 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

Looking outside showed a very restricted inlet for the roof vent.

CQ9R0219 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

The other vent was a bit better.

CQ9R0249 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

All in all a very imaginative solution to the problem of the blocked compartment vents but with none of the necessary safeguards.

That's a classic case of a little knowledge is dangerous.
well done for doin a proper job by the way

hmm, at least they earthed the copex..

i know who has done this job, its one of those who come on the forum and tell everyone.........
i'm an engineer you know.

hmm, at least they earthed the copex..

i know who has done this job, its one of those who come on the forum and tell everyone.........
i'm an engineer you know.

I think you might be right there. If you zoom in very close you can see the name "m.yoshi" printed on the copex!

how poor, i would have matched the bricks alot better when patching up. :)

nice work mike, i hope that whoever forged the certs gets found out. Keep us all posted please.

Funnily enough the previous occupant was an engineer. With the amount of materials used it must have cost a fair bit to "engineer" this solution.

Dropped a price in to the customer Tuesday evening. He rang me today to give me the go ahead.

Mike with this there is more building work involved than any, what material will you use to achieve that ventilation requirements

i think he will be fitting a rs boiler with vertical flue , boiler in the loft with vertical/horizontal flue .

what exactly are you going to do MJ ?

I'm ripping out the old boiler and fitting a new one in the loft. Getting the correct ventilation was going to be an absolute nightmare and the customer saw the wisdom in upgrading the system. I'm fiting an Atag A200S OV, new pump, S plan (there'a new zone valve on the cylinder so may as well leave that there),new rad valves throughout, changing one of the radiators and giving the system a good clean. Sticking open vented as the ground floor pipes are set in the screed and I won't risk pressurising it.

I gave two prices one for boiler in the loft and the other for one in the garage. The garage option was a lot more expensive because the pipe runs back to the airing cupboard were long and very awkward (lots of obstacles in the garage and chipboard flooring) and the condense would have to be pumped or the path broken up outside to fit a soakaway. The customer wasn't too sure about the loft option originally but did a bit of internet searching and saw that it was quite a common option now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to just disconnected a boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock