Search the forum,

Discuss Is this plumbing in our loft legal? (pictures included) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

familyguy

IMG_1397.jpgIMG_1386.jpgIMG_1394.jpgIMG_1394.jpgIMG_1385.jpg

Would really appreciate your thoughts on the quality of this plumbing and whether you consider it to be sufficiently weather proof, bearing in mind this is in the loft and the cold weather we've been having the last few winters.

I have a few lay persons questions:

1. Is it true that all parts of the pipework and joints should normally be covered by insulation?

2. Also the grey plastic pipe corner seems to be at an odd angle to me, is that good practice/safe or does that not really matter?

3. Should the electrics (e.g. where the bare bulbs are connected) be so close to the pipework including in some cases directly below it? Is that safe/good practice?

Many thanks in advance.

David

Seems fairly normal to me (not that I'd fit things like that I hasten to add).

The important thing is to have the pipes under the insulation (so they can benefit from the heat coming through the ceilings) and the wires above the insulation (so they can lose their heat).

After these last two winters I'm beginning to think that pipes might be best left NOT insulated. The theory is that the sub zero temperatures get through all that pipe insulation and if you get a frozen pipe it takes much longer to thaw out. The simple solution to avoid frozen pipes is to allow some heat into the loft (keep the loft hatch open a few inches when it's particularly cold). You don't have to heat the loft to room temperature, only to just above freezing.

pipe work looks satisfactory to what i can see , a little untidy but ok, re light all light should as far as i do are allways at least 3foot away from water pipes in attics/lofts if poss hope that helps. regards cjg

Thanks for the answers, that does help a great deal.

With regard to the grey plastic pipe corner that's partly come out of it's insulation casing and sticking out at a strange angle (45%), would the angle cause any additional pressure in that joint? i.e. would it be more prudent to keep the pipe properly horizontal and vertical?

Yes, it would be better but if it's been like that for a few years it's unlikely to cause problems now.

The install has good quality pipe insulation, its a shame about the quality of its installation. The fitter has used brown package tape by the looks of it. No wonder there are gaps along the seems and bits are falling off. It needs a better quality of tape or insulation glue.

The header cistern is hanging over its supporting base. Not a great idear.

Any pipe fitting that is under stress could eventually blow. Alittle bit like you and I.

top quality laggimg shame about th parcel tape lofts especially unboarded ones do tend to be the least tidy part of the job as said lust needs a tidy upwith some fresh tapecant see to many clips buyt hard to tell from pics lichts dont appear to be that close to anything

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is this plumbing in our loft legal? (pictures included) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock